Chapter 5: The Relay

Y/N POV

I walked away from the rest of the class to spend sometime with myself. The people that I met seemed really nice. Talking to everyone really helped distract me from all the bad memories that plague my mind. This was one such moment where I didn't have any distractions as I felt tears form in my eyes. I wiped them away but more kept coming.

Hannah: "Hey Y/N! Wait up!"

I could hear Hannah calling out to me. I tried to compose myself and tried to dry my eyes. I turned around and saw her and Barbara but also three more girls with them.

Hannah: "Good, we caught up to you! We just wanted to introduce you to Avery, Mary and Blair! They are good friends of ours!"

I give them a smile as I walk up to them.

Y/N: "H-hi g-girls. I-I'm Y/N."

Hannah had pointed at each girl when she said their name. Blair had blonde hair tied back into pigtails. Mary had hair that was tied into a ponytail with a red ribbon. And Avery had purple hair with two red hair pins.

Avery: "Hey. Hannah and Barbara have told us all about you."

I turned to the two who simply just smiled at me.

Blair: "I have to admit, I didn't expect a boy to be allowed into Luna Nova. But I think they made the right choice!"

Barbara: "Well yeah they did! He is a cutie!"

My face flushes red and I look at the ground as I hear giggles from the girls.

Avery: "Haha. Awww you were right! He is too cute!"

I looked up to see them all smiling at me as I couldn't keep eye contact.

Mary: "Haha. A-anyway are you gonna watch the race Y/N?"

I look at her and nod my head.

Y/N: "U-ummm, y-yeah I-I l-look forward to s-seeing it!"

Mary takes out a piece of paper and everyone gathers around to look at it. Curious as to what was on the paper I walked over to take a peek. I couldn't really read what was on it.

Y/N: "W-what's o-on the paper?"

Mary: "It's the list of all the racers. Can you not read it?"

Y/N: "N-no I-I c-can't r-really tell what's on there."

Avery: "Do you not have glasses?"

I shake my head.

Blair: "Haven't your parents taken you to get an eye test?

The mere thought of that made shiver. I remember when I told them I needed glasses. Let's just say that didn't go so well. I could again feel tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

Hannah: "Y-Y/N? W-what's wrong?"

I shake my head and wipe my eyes with my sleeves.

Y/N: "N-nothing."

Barbara: "Y-you s-said that earlier. We know there's something wrong, you can tell us!"

I starting trembling as Hannah and Barbara both slowly approached me. I then turned around and ran. I just kept on running right to the other side of the school. When I stopped running I leant against the wall and slumped onto the ground and started sobbing to myself.

Y/N: "You should have told them Y/N! I know I'm not strong enough to tackle this alone! I need them to help me! I need...."

I sat there sobbing to myself wallowing in self pity like I always did. I deserved to be alone....