Chapter 32

Nicole's POV

I crumble hearing the doctor's words, knowing how much she cared for him.

He had a long life ahead of him, he should have seen Veronica graduate, get married, and have children.

The doctor explains he had untreated heart disease and we are all left shocked at this revelation.

He seemed so healthy.

I try to push back the tears so I can comfort Veronica but as I look at her, I notice she is staring into the void, completely lost and numb.

She doesn't even want to see her dad for one last time.

I don't see any emotion on her face, she doesn't seem heartbroken either surprised. She seems empty, truly, and beyond words lost.

As if it was her last ounce of hope, and now she has nothing, and it hurts to see her going through so much pain. It hurts to know I can't comfort her.

I try to pull her in for a hug, cautiously but she doesn't respond, instead, she just stands without hugging me back so I eventually pull away.

"Give her some time," Louis suggests and I nod.

How much time for someone who has lost her dad and herself?

I turn around to search with my eyes Dominic and he is nowhere to be seen.

After a few minutes, he comes back and offers to give us a ride home.

Veronica hasn't spoken a word since she heard her father died, she didn't cry, she didn't flinch, nothing at all.

We all look at her with pity, we don't know how to talk to her, what is the right thing to say or do.

"Is it okay if I stay here until your mom comes?" I ask and no response.

"Just stay with her, she needs someone," Dominic says and I nod. He walks back to the car with Louis.

"Do you need anything?" I ask Veronica after some time while we are in her bedroom. I haven't been here in so long.

She again doesn't reply and just stares at the wall as if she isn't even here.

"If you need someone to talk to, you know you can count on me," I say. I hope this would give her some comfort but she doesn't listen to a word I say. I understand her pain so I just lift the blankets, getting inside while she just sits on the edge of the bed, doing nothing.

I want to ask her if she is going to at least try to sleep but it would be pointless. She would never be able to sleep, not after what just happened.

I turn off the bed lamp and I fall asleep instantly because I'm tired from the previous party.

~

I wake up and Veronica is gone, I look all over the house for her and she is not here.

I walk to her closet and I see a few clothes missing, also in the bathroom her toothbrush and toothpaste are missing.

I realize in horror that she left, and God knows how worried I am that she might hurt herself.

I hear the entrance door cracking and I immediately go downstairs to check.