Chapter 37

Louis' POV

I look over at Nicole and I can't recognize the girl I see in front of me.

Her knees and hands are fully bruised, her face is pale like a ghost, and her warm brown eyes are puffy from all the tears she wasted on James.

"What did he do to you?" I ask Nicole, trying to gather the courage to go closer to her but she seems hesitant.

"He loves me," she replies blatantly without even looking at me.

"I asked what he did to you."

"I made him mad, it's my- my fault." She sobs as I walk up to her.

"Shh... it's not," I say, pulling her into a hug.

"It is. I was with D- Derek, and I know how jealous that guy makes him."

A hint of jealousy shows on my face when I hear that name. Derek.

It's always Derek. Girls always go after him.

Veronica...

This is why nice guys finish last.

Veronica chose that drug abuser over me, her best friend since we were kids.

"Don't look at me like that. He isn't even my type," she says and I breathe a sigh out of relief.

"You need to stop seeing James," I tell her and she shakes her head.

"You don't understand how much I need him, I feel empty without him!" she exclaims and I sigh.

"I gave him everything- I gave him my virginity, my love, I told him my whole life," she explains and my mouth's slightly agape.

I wasn't sure if they slept together but It was quite obvious. James would never be with a girl who doesn't give him...

"He doesn't care about you," I say and she just sobs harder.

"Why? Am I that horrible?" she asks looking down at her thighs.

"You are one of the most amazing girls I know," I say and she finally looks up at me with a slight hint of hope in her eyes.

I take her hand into mine and I caress it until she stops crying.

"I'm trying so hard to stay away from him but every time he contacts me I forgive him."

"Do you want me to talk to him?" I ask her and she shakes her head, she seems scared by the possibility of him leaving her forever so I just keep caressing her bruised hand.

"I won't, then. Just promise me you will keep trying to stay away from him," I say while keeping my eyes on her face.

"I will try..." she mutters but it's almost inaudible and something tells me she won't give up. It's Nicole Gilbert after all.

She looks at me again and I'm amazed by how a jerk like James can pull such a beautiful and amazing girl like Nicole. She has no self-worth.

If she saw herself like we see her...

"Is Veronica okay? I haven't heard about her in so long," I ask her because I just thought about Ronny. She always tried to help Nicole detach from James, now it's just me and it's so difficult.

"Mhm- I have no idea," she mutters and I look away. Maybe I should contact her.

~

She never picks her phone so I'm just going to Dominic hoping she is there or maybe he knows where she might be.

I'm getting my driver's license soon and I won't have to rely on my dad anymore.