Chapter 29

Derek's POV

"Am I tripping or are you jealous?" Shanice questions me and I look away.

We make our way through the crowd, and the moment we are about to leave this damn house, Dominic sees us.

"You leaving bro?" He asks us and I just nod. Shanice follows me outside.

"Talk to me!" Shanice pressures me and I give in, I need to talk it out.

"What do you want me to say, Shanice?" I look at her straight in the eyes and she gives me a warm smile.

"I'm a fucking idiot, I really thought something was happening between me and Veronica." Her smile fades and gets replaced by a frown.

Shanice has always been my truest friend, she matters even more than Dominic, she helped me through my darkest times, when I used to sell drugs and almost died, I was in foster care for two years and she took me in her home, she was always there for me even when she didn't have to. She saved my life.

I own everything to her, I know how much she cares about me despite her tough and mean attitude with others.

I gather the courage to keep talking, knowing that she would never judge me. She always understands me and every time we talked about Veronica, despite her genuine dislike for her, she always respects my choices.

"Not only I saw her hooking up with that guy, but I actually came back, asking for an explanation like a pathetic bitch," I spit, kicking the plant near the entrance door.

"It's not your fault. I told you she is fake, she doesn't care about anyone," Shanice says pulling me into a hug.

"Let's go home, you need to rest."

Shanice calls a cab. We are too drunk to drive.

"I think I'll pass," I say and she looks at me worried.

"What do you want to do?"

"I'll stay. I have no reason to run away, it would make me even more pathetic," I explain and she nods, patting me on the back.

"Take care, she is not worth it, Derek," Shanice reassures me and I nod.

I did everything for Veronica, not because I wanted anything back from her other than her time. I thought she was going through a difficult time, but I guess it was all an act.

I swallow bitterly, grabbing a joint from my jacket's pocket.

I lit it up, taking a slight hit from it but I can only think about her.

When she did that dare... she was so genuine. I understood it was her straight away, the moment she entered, when I smelled her perfume. When her soft hands touched my skin. She also left some hickeys that I badly want gone now. She was faking everything, every single little thing.

She took so long to say she doesn't care about me... what if-

I'll stop ridiculing myself further, she meant it. She said it. I can't blame her, actually, we are just strangers. I misread everything.

I hear the high heels hitting the floor and I turn around, I recognize her red hair straight away.

Olivia.