Chapter 9

Veronica's POV.

I arrive at Shanice's house and flashbacks regarding that party in July immediately flood my mind.

I'm wearing a black tight dress that makes me feel quite uncomfortable, and a bit of dark eyeliner on my eyes, which makes my blue eyes stand out so much more.

Dominic accompanied me with his car here. We've been talking a lot these days, he is nice, but most importantly I forget about everything when I hang out with him.

My parents don't even know I'm here. I know they would have said no, especially with how I've been acting lately. I despise how much I depend on them.

I enter with Dominic and James. Nicole would hate seeing me with James all the time, but honestly, I can't do anything about it. He is everywhere and he does not stay away from me. He is so annoying.

"Are you over it, Veronica? I even said sorry," James fake apologies again.

I make my way through the crowded room and grab some alcohol, I need it. James comes after me.

"Apparently not." He leans against the wall while I mix a bit of vodka and coke in a cup.

"I stopped hanging out with Nicole, since then, don't you appreciate that I did it for you?" He tries to guilt-trip me into talking to him. What the fuck. I don't believe a word he spits and I keep ignoring him.

I don't know what Nicole sees in him, she must be blind.

Dominic comes to us and he grabs the gin tonic.

"Vodka with coke? Classic," Dominic says and I smile, mentally thanking him for saving me from this idiot.

"I noticed your mood getting better, I am sure it's because of me," Dom jokingly teases me and I laugh, knowing it's mostly because I've been drinking lately. It keeps my mind busy.

He reaches into his pocket but can't seem to find what he is looking for.

"Oh fuck, I can't find it, if you want some weed, find Derek, he has some joints," Dominic says.

"Oh." That's all I say and he points to the kitchen. Like the first time, hopefully, I won't spill anything on Shanice now.

I go into the kitchen and I see Derek straight away, he's leaning against the counter with a beer in his hand. He has a sky-blue tight t-shirt on which slightly shows his muscles.

He looks up at me and he seems to pause for a second, trying to recognize me.

"Are you going to keep staring?" I slightly make fun of him.

"You are the one who spilled the drink on Shanice's dress," he points out, mostly to himself, as he takes a sip from the beer. I just roll my eyes.

"You look unrecognizable," he adds as he quickly studies me.

"If you are done checking me out, you should give me a joint," I say bluntly and smirk.

He immediately laughs in disbelief, here it comes.

"I see, weren't you the one judging us cause of it?"

"That was the old me," I replied indifferently.

He hands me two joints and I catch a second glimpse at his eyes, they are as charming as I remembered them.

"Are you done staring?" he mocks me for what I said earlier and I can't help but smile, while he joins me.

His smile is probably the most beautiful smile I have ever seen, his teeth are so white and straight. He has two soft, long dimples.

"Anyway, Veronica... that's your name, right?" I nod and he keeps going, "I'm sorry for what I said last time, James is a jerk and I was too, but you won't have to worry about him anymore."

I would ask him how he knows my name but it's a stupid question, he might have asked Dom or James.

Also, what does he mean? Did he kill him? I laugh at my remark as he waits for my response.

He is apologizing to me? That's... new.

"Oh, thanks. it's ok, and I didn't mean to judge any of you."

"All cool, want me to help you smoke it?" he asks and points to the joint. I nod. I have no idea what to do.

We sit down on the couch, the background music is so loud but I like the song. People are just dancing and stripping half-naked, the smell of weed and alcohol is so strong here.

I put the tip of the joint between my lips. He hands me the lighter and he notices I'm quite nervous so he takes it back and lights it for me.

"You are going to feel very relaxed and you will probably start laughing."

"Inhale slowly and deeply and hold onto the smoke before you exhale it," he says and looks at me carefully.

I inhale deeply as he says and I exhale, I start coughing hard and it feels kinda stupid.

There is so much smoke.

After a couple of minutes I seem to start getting it, I instantly feel relaxed and I start giggling. He smiles while looking at me.

It feels so euphoric and uplifting, and I can let go of my old thoughts. It's temporary... but that's all I care about.

I feel so relaxed and just lay back on the couch, looking at the wall. Listening to loud music makes it even more euphoric. I'm so high.

"So, I'm gonna assume you like it?" he asks and chuckles.

"Have you ever noticed how big things tend to r-reassemble small things?!" I ask completely out of my mind and he bursts out laughing.

"You are definitely high," he exclaims, "I'll go grab more alcohol."

I take a second puff and all my senses feel heightened. I'm already understanding how to do it.

"Here you are, having fun all alone." I immediately recognize James' voice and I don't think I can even get mad. I am way too relaxed right now.

He sits down next to me and starts smoking a cigarette.

"You're pretty cute, you know?" He turns his stupid face to me.

I don't reply and it seems to bother him.

He tries to get close to me and he puts his hand on my leg. Normally this would trigger me, but my body is not responding in the same way as before.

"Get your dirty hands off me." I try to sound aggressive but I'm so happy right now, I haven't been in months. It's so relieving. And I won't let him ruin it.

He gets closer and I try to back off, he just can't get it.

At that moment Derek enters with the vodka bottle and he goes straight up to James when he sees him.

"We've had this talk before," he threatens him and I stand up even though it feels quite dizzy. I just want to enjoy my moment.

I go into the big yard and I sit down on a wet chair, my phone rings and I panic. It's my mom.

———

Thank you so much for reading, please don't forget to vote and comment!
Let me know what you think about Derek.