Chapter 1

"𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘥𝘴."

It's not how I expected my summer holiday to go but it's the price to pay to get my driving license and a car.

I'm at Kaylee's Cafeteria, which is going to be my job for two months. I used to always come here with my friends Nicole and Louis. It's interesting how I got a job here—they weren't even hiring, so now I serve coffee and clean the tables. I'm hoping it's enough to help my parents, I should start looking for a car.

I step into the building, Kaylee immediately congratulates me and she shows me around. She is such a bubbly person and I'm envious of her dark long hair, which reaches her lower back.

The coffee shop is tiny and a mix of traditional and modern architecture.

"Well, I guess that's it," she exclaims, "oh, and please let me know if you don't understand something."

I nod and grab the green apron, we have to wear a black above a knee-length skirt with a dark top.

There are some perks to working in a place I've been frequenting every day for the last three years. I know almost all the customers and how to make a delicious espresso and cappuccino.

My phone buzzes and I grab it from my apron's pocket. My best friend's name appears on the screen.

Nicole: Can we grab a coffee later? I'm legit so stressed out and I wanna talk about it.

It's finally my break time and I see Nicole entering. I'm hoping to also see Louis but no sight of him, he is still sleeping as it's quite early. Nicole and I are the only morning people.

She comes to me and wraps her arms around me and I adore her floral perfume, it makes a lasting impression. She is quite tan, she tans flawlessly and I on the other side, look pale all the time and burn extremely easy. Her hair is light brown and wavy with some highlights.

I can't help but notice she doesn't have her usual smile.

We've been friends since my current family adopted me which happened when I was six years old.

"Hey, Veronica... I'm so happy to finally see you."

The waiter serves us two cappuccinos and I warmly smile at Nicole. "I needed this coffee, you have no idea!" she says.

"What happened? Is it your parents again?"

"What? No, it's just James. He hasn't been replying to my texts, I feel like he constantly tries to play games with me and I'm so tired." She looks down and fidgets with her phone.

I honestly expected something serious, I was worried for nothing. James is such a player and Louis and I always tell her, but does she ever listen?

"You know what I think about him. I've been warning you since last year that he is seeing other girls and you constantly tell me it's not true," I scold her and frown. She looks surprised, every damn time.

"Maybe, maybe you are right. But I like him so much, Ronnie, I do. You know he is my first love."

I give her an empathetic look, I kind of understand her, I feel like this about him... the only difference is that he isn't a jerk like James.

Time passes quickly and I have to get back to work. I work from 6 AM to 12 PM and although waking up at 5 AM is atrocious, it's only for this summer and I enjoy being so productive considering how much my parents work for me. Sometimes I think I don't deserve all of this, all the love and support they give me.

A middle-aged man I've never seen before enters the cafeteria. He comes to the bar counter and stares at me which makes me quite nervous and I shift uncomfortably.

"An es-espresso, please," he slightly stutters and keeps his gaze on me. I mutter yes and I swiftly prepare his espresso and hand it over to him.

He sits down and keeps staring at me maliciously. He is scanning my whole body and I try to silently hide behind the bar and ignore him.

Why is he even staring? I'm young, right? He must be in his thirties or forties.

Should I tell Kaylee? I look over at her and she is talking to a customer. No, it's probably nothing... this is how the real world works and she would think I'm childish. Even though I can't brush off the sense of disgust I feel. God, he must have a wife or kids. He finally stands up and as he leaves, he keeps turning back to look at me, I quickly look away.