Chapter 22

"Did your sister arrive yet? I'm pretty sure that she is going to come here if you are here as well. Unless it was the opposite way."

It seem it was taking a lot longer for father to say his speech. Maybe it was just minor technological problems.

"It used to be that way. But if she is here, then I am 100% somewhere in the building. She had already arrived about 10 minutes ago."

While Yui was busy looking for Nee-san, I am trying my best to spot someone whose presence is unknown to everyone besides me, Nee-san, and Yui.

"Hey, if you were allowed to bring me to this fancy party, then who did your sister bring? You said you saw her, but who arrived with her? A friend?"

"She brought Hikigaya-kun."

"Oh..."

The space between me and Yui grew awkward just like it intended to happen. There was no point of hiding anything. Being honest is much better than lying. And I've learned that the hard way during high school.

"Did he dress fancy like those other guys."

"Yes, yes he did. I almost couldn't recognize him until I saw his eyes. I should've secretly taken a picture before he left so I could have shown you how unnatural he looked."

"He left? Where did he go?"

"Not sure. He probably left because he's trying to avoid us both."

I left an ungrateful tone when I said that sentence. And Yui knew everything as to why I did that.

"Yukinon.. Do you think Hikki has changed?"

"Of course he has, but in a way where nobody can adapt to it. Put it like he has changed for the worst."

"That's really rude to put it that way, Yukinon. Hikki had just gotten back from war. War is where a lot of young people like Hikki die. We should be fortunate that he lived through all that. And he still decided to live in Chiba instead of somewhere else."

"Where else is there for him to live in? I mean, I guess if he bought an apartment that I also rent, then I suppose he could live a sustainable life."

"You haven't done enough research, Yukinon! Hooray, I'm smarter than you for once! Veterans can live in military established homes and have no bills."

"I guess I haven't thought about that. Then that makes him a fool for wasting much money when he could live for free."

It was Yui's first time to facepalm when I said something stupid.

"You're missing the point, Yukinon. Hikki misses us, all of us, his family, me, and you. He's avoiding us so he doesn't hurt us. But it's hurting us anyway no matter what he does, unless he decides to open about his hidden feelings. But I don't know what his hidden feelings are so we will have to wait."

Indeed she did have a good point.

Hikigaya-kun loves to hide things that may or may not hurt us. But no matter what, it will affect us before we even notice it.

"Hikki? You came back?"

I too was a bit surprised he came back. I thought he left as soon as he had the opportunity to.

Earlier his expressions were blank, emotionless. But now they were filled with worry and anxiety.

"Yuigahama, you're here also? Dammit, listen you 2, we need to go now."

"What? Why do we all have to leave? Yukinon's dad is gonna be on live TV!"

Yui complained.

"Hikigaya-kun, there is no reason to force us to exit out of the building. And I believe that will never happen. Not unless you tell us why."