Chapter 42

"At least I still have you, Delta."

I gave him a few head pats as he seemed to have enjoyed it to the fullest. I just took a good long look at my friend. Delta isn't just my pet, he's my best friend who has saved my life multiple times.

If there is only thing I regret in life, it's that I wasn't able to make Yukino acknowledge Delta's name, his identity and his role.

"In these upcoming few days.... We might be alone together. In this vast world.

I spoke to him, as he listens to me.

"We might not live in a shelter anymore. My wife, Yukino, will take everything for herself and as well as Yuki. Best bet we can do is go do volunteer work for the military. And maybe we can get a contract sign to be making some actual money. It's funny how we are both risking our lives for money."

It reminds me of how robbers would forfeit their life for some cash. But doing it as a solider is 100 more times different than that.

Robbing the innocent is for cowards. The reason why people are homeless is because they never took their education seriously. Now they are adults who beg for money or rob money. And most of the time, no one would care because it wasn't their problem.

It also reminds me of the few middle schoolers and high schoolers who only clown around. They always ditch class, never actually put effort into things.

And when they fail, they blame the school system.

Only rarely, can a student struggle while trying their best. Those who complain about school, and never do any school work, have no right to say anything about school.

Enough about a bit of nostalgia trip.

"Maybe we can live in Komachi's house. And I'll finally get a stable job instead of relying on getting military pay. A janitor sounds nice, right? I've never even went to university, and I don't have the money to pay for it. But whatever works, right, Delta?"

Delta happily barked, wagging his tail around.

And then the happy mood slowly dies down. I was engulfed in a sad state. So much worries building up.

It was a high possibility that Yukino will divorce me. Once her father hears the truth, he will definitely side with Yukino. I might even go to prison for endangering my own child because of my mistake.

"One day.. This will all be a crappy memory."

I grabbed a small photo from my pocket.

It had me, Yukino, and a 5 year old Yuki in a family photo. There was nothing going on with our family back then. No drama, no trust issues.

Just living the life.

2 years later.

Our marriage is on the brink of divorcing and our family is broken into pieces.

What went wrong? Were we really not that meant to be?

I was a soldier, a husband, and a father who had to go away for a long time.

And Yukino was a lawyer, a wife, and a mother who always had to take care of Yuki and pay the bills. She practically did everything herself.

Once again, she took care of me, took care of Yuki, paid everything, covered everything.

And all I did was just disappear for almost a year and then come back to relax and just wait for myself to be deployed again. My life was a constant repeat, just me getting slowly older and older.