Chapter 35

"100 meters to your right!"

I informed 2 of my teammates of the area where we are taking small arms fire from. I was on a small hill, only 4 feet high and it was the only high ground I could take.

We were in a specific biome of Afghanistan where it's all just large bushes and small trees. And still, I couldn't see any goddamn shit.

We were ambushed, luckily no one was hit but I feared that one of us may die very soon if we don't call for air support.

Ratatatatatata!

I was a machine gunner, carrying a M249 SAW. I wanted to try something new and just shoot freedom bullets everywhere.

"I'm hit! I'm hit!"

"Parker is hit! Where is the corpsman?!"

One of our guys were hit in the shoulder, bleeding very badly and turning more pale as each second passed.

"Over here! I'm getting pinned down!"

The corpsman was in a really bad position. One wrong move and he would be dead.

And so to save a man's life, I risked my own.

"I'll provide some cover. You go over there and save our brother's life, got that?"

The corpsman nods, waiting for my order.

If I have to provide some extra cover, I would have to stand up and shoot everywhere. That means I would have to expose myself out in the open, possibly getting myself killed.

My first deployment, I only fought because I wanted to save lives.

But my second deployment... I fought so I could see my wife and my unborn child. And I also want to make sure my brothers are coming home safe and sound.

"Now!"

Ratatatatatatatata!

I sprayed the entire ammunition of the M249 SAW.

Whizz!

Crack!

I could hear the bullets whizz by the corpsman, that the Taliban fighters were aiming for. I also heard a crack which meant that the bullet was meant for me.

They definitely know our position. If only I could see their muzzle flash in slow motion to locate their position.

The corpsman successfully treated the wounded soldier, wrapping him with bandages.

"How the fuck did I not get shot just now?"

They must've had poor aim if they missed a standing target. Then again, I was attempting to suppress by shooting everywhere that isn't behind me.

"Call in an air support!"

...

After 30 minutes of keeping our heads down, we successfully managed to get some air support from the beloved A-10

BRRRRRRT!!

The sound of freedom going through our ear drums, satisfying all of us.

Just how badass is that thing?

BBBBBBBB!!

Wait a minute.. that didn't sound like an A-10. That sounded like something a human can make.

BZZZZZ!

Am I inhaling too much dust right now?

__________________________