Chapter 14

[ 4 Years Later ]

It has been..... how long was I gone?

That's right.

After 4 long years of military service, I've gone through multiple promotions during the Marine Corps. The President withdrew thousands of soldiers and marines from Afghanistan and Iraq for no reason.

I was one of them.

I wanted to end my 4 year long tour anyway because I needed to settle a place to live in Chiba so I guess it was a win-win. I didn't want to live in those military provided homes because it's not my thing.

Did I mention I also grew my hair back now? I'm not bald anymore. I have The same hairstyle from my high school years. If I was in special forces such as Green Berets or Navy Seals and possibly Delta Force, I would be forced to have shaved my head.

I'm was an E-1 Private, but now I've been promoted to E-5.

I'm a Sergeant now.

Sgt. Hikigaya. I like how it sounds and feels.

I avoided becoming a drill sergeant because can you imagine me ruining my vocal cords just because that is suppose to be my job? I don't talk a lot and I tend to only shout whenever I'm angry or frustrated or there is a goddamn rpg coming at our direction.

"Sir, you have arrived at your destination."

The taxi driver alerts me. I hadn't noticed for a while but I cannot believe there was this many shelters and families. During my deployment to Afghanistan and Iraq, the only shelters were military bases or inhabited villages.

"Thanks for reminding me."

I paid him the cash he deserved for his job. From Chiba Airport to my home address, it must be been a while because I fell asleep due to lack of sleep in the airplane.

It wasn't a cliche 'baby on board'. I was just always reminded how many parachutes I opened as I jumped off an airplane for my missions.

"I cannot take your money sir."

"I insist. You did your job and that is how the workforce works."

Just like I have to save, protect, and kill, I get paid for doing it. Depending on the situation, I might get paid even more than average.

"You're a veteran right? From the uniform, you fought for the Americans. Why would I need to charge a person who risked their lives for others."

Holy crap...

Did I die and reincarnate as a hot girl? Or maybe this is a dream. Usually only girls get these kind of benefits.

I had to look at my arms and clothing for a few seconds and inspect every inch of my body to see if it was real.

Turns out it was definitely real.

"Uh... Thank you."

It was an awkward situation so I grabbed my luggage and waved goodbye, a way of showing respect for other people. The old Hachiman wouldn't dare to wave goodbye to strangers. But after being taught many different things, sometimes against my will, I learned to adapt to it.

As I watch the taxi cab drive off to somewhere unknown, I turn to my right and took a good look at my old house that I haven't seen for a long time.

I find it hard to believe Komachi and my parents would move out so I decided to let my random presence become a surprise.

I walked towards the front door and gave it a few knocks.

Knock!
Knock!

The front door slowly opens.