Chapter 15

Our eyes locked onto each other.

The harsh tone she previously used on me had disappeared as soon as she said my name. And my first impressions towards her due to not identifying her for a while were eradicated from my mind.

"H-Hey. Been a while..."

This was way too sudden. I came here only because I was forced to. And now I am facing the backlash from going to the reunion. Damn you, Komachi.

"It has indeed been a long time. H-How have you been?"

She too had trouble talking to me.

We haven't talked in 4 years. There is bound to be some awkwardness. It's like seeing your middle school friends in a high school hallway and you only stare at each other for a few seconds before going to your own class.

"I've been doing fine. I just got back yesterday. What have you been doing?"

"Wh-Why are you here? Was there a reason why you suddenly appeared without announcing or sending me or your family's notice."

I scratched the back of my head, becoming more nervous by the second.

"I was withdrawn out of Afghanistan. You probably heard about it in the news. I was going to leave anyway so I could take a small break. I also kinda wanted it to be a surprise for Komachi."

The President of the United States had the authority to withdraw US soldiers from any country obviously. But it was kind of sudden and everyone was taken by surprise. That was when I decided to make my sudden reappearance a surprise.

"I see. In fact, I did see it on the news. I had high hopes that you were one of them to be honest. And it seems Komachi-san's teasing and hints were correct after all."

"What?"

"The reason why I sat on this chair because Komachi-san had told me you were near here. It seems she knew you would take a nap anywhere in the building. And she guessed that correctly."

So Komachi wasn't going to confess to boy? All the conversations she had right next to my room yesterday was about me?

"Everything is going fine right now!" - She hates studying, but as I appeared, her day was going spectacular.

"No, he hasn't." - Yukinoshita most likely asked if I had come back to Chiba yet.

"I'm not sure. Maybe once I meet him, I'll finally get say it in front of him!" - Komachi was lying about everything in that sentence.

And last but not least, Yukinoshita seemed to have been texting her for the past few minutes. I don't blame her for focusing on someone she knows rather than someone who randomly bumps into her.

But she still needs to be kind to others for their mistakes....

"Yay! The reunion plan has been successful!"

Komachi comes out of nowhere, startling the both of us.

"I should've known... Can I go back home so I can have a goodnight sleep."

I'm extremely tired still. Even if I am trained to wake up early in the morning, it doesn't mean I'm not tired.

"You're an idiot, Onii-chan! You know what, that is it! I'm not giving you a ride home. Because you are so persistent, Yukino-chan will give you a ride home!"

How could she turn on me so quickly? We just reunited a day ago and now she's treating me as if I'm still in high school and haven't gone to the military yet.