Chapter 13

It has been 7 months since I graduated as a Marine Private. I'm now a PFC, Private First Class. I first deployed in Afghanistan to protect and free the people from Taliban control.

I'm in the 1st Battalion Infantry, 3rd Marines known as the Lava Dogs. I decided to become a riflemen, and become part of an infantry, and patrol around the multiple areas.

Have I killed anyone yet?

Amazingly, I haven't killed a single enemy yet. I have very mixed feelings about killing the enemy. I do know that it is kill or be killed, and I will cross that bridge when it has finish it's construction.

And what assault rifle do I carry? I have an M4A1 with 5.56x45 NATO cartridge with a 5.56mm caliber. It also carries an ACOG scope which is probably my most favorite out of all the scopes I have tried out.

"PFC Hikigaya, we have some intel that there may be possible Taliban activity about 500 yards in your direction. It could possibly be in that dense forest north of you. You are to wait with Corporal Dunn and the rest of the E-1 to arrive at your destination. Standby to investigate on his mark."

The Colonel orders me with the radio on my belt.

"Copy that."

After a few minutes of waiting, while using my binoculars to check out the dense forest.

"PFC Hikigaya, you look pretty scared right now."

Corporal Dunn and the rest of the E-1, or newly deployed marines follow him from behind.

"Let's go and investigate, Devil Dogs."

I looked at some history about why we Marines were called Devil Dogs. It goes way back during WW1 when the Germans used to call the Marines that.

Now the Taliban just calls us Donkeys because of all the crap load of gear and equipment we are carrying. 60-100 pounds of gear puts a heavy toll on any body, even a Marine. We can't catch up to them thanks to the weight.

...

"No sign of Taliban activity in this dense forest. You think our intel was off?"

The privates begin talking to each other. Every marine were watching each other's 6. I was right next to Corporal Dunn who was taking the lead.

He has had more experience than I have and has killed a few Taliban in his years of service. He still is doing his tour for the next few months.

I plan on staying here for more than a year so I can get promoted as fast as possible until I stay with the rank I want for a while. Then I'll probably be asked to deploy at a different country somewhere else again.

The trees of the forest barely had any branches or leaves. It was a bamboo version of a forest. The trees were fairly tall, lacked the size, leaves, and branches.

Luckily there was a trail, and the dense forest provided cover for us, only a little. There could be a bullet passing through without hitting the trees.

"Drones are 99% accurate. If you want 100% accuracy, go try to convince the USSF to send a satellite photograph of the forest."

But those are only used for special operations.

If there is anyone deadlier than US Marines, it's the special forces such as Navy Seals, Green Berets, and Delta Forces. There may be ones we don't even know about. They always say the best special forces are the ones we don't know about.

Whizzz...!

The sound of a bullet passing by us. If you heard it, you weren't the target.