Chapter 37

Huge timeskip because I can.

_______________________

4 years..

4 years has passed after the incident where I caused a big scene in the parking lot of a grocery store. The aftermath of it. It spread in Japan social media. Yukino's father was a bit upset about how the video played out.

He wasn't upset because I protected his daughter and his granddaughter.

He was upset at how those 4 young adults treated towards us. They may have also threatened others and unfortunately met me.

Now those 19 year olds are 23 so I hope they learned their lesson.

Could you believe I've gone viral from that video? Someone like me? I used to blend in with the air during high school. And the adult world is even more bigger and I was chosen to be viral for a couple of weeks.

Though usually when someone goes viral, they would be interviewed by multiple people. But I wasn't interviewed at all. Probably because they were too afraid to interview me.

So they interviewed my wife instead.

She told me their reason, "We're a bit scared to interview him because of that viral video."

She did her best not to laugh when she was being interviewed. I could see it in her face when I saw it being uploaded. She also said they asked why she chose me to be her husband.

I get that Yukino is a royal princess and I am some commoner soldier. But sometimes, the questions the reporters asks are too personal and too stupid to even answer.

I bet if they interviewed me, knowing I'm a veteran, they would ask me this dumb question.

"Have you ever killed someone?"

I'm a goddamn soldier who went to war. What do you think?

Also, I've been promoted to Staff Sergeant. I get more money which is great for Yuki's future college or university, but I am given more responsibilities. Not only am I still being deployed to do my 20 years, I have to go to Okinawa where the USMC bases are, to train marines or train JSDF soldiers.

The JSDF soldiers wondered why a Japanese man who lived in Japan would enlist in the USMC.

When I was in high school, after being saved by those marines from being killed. I did a bit of research. Apparently I guessed that those marines were from Okinawa, Japan who decided to specifically explore Chiba.

I wish I could meet those marines who saved my life, and thanked them for giving me a wife and daughter.

But anyway, as I said, good pay means good leadership. That means I am away from my wife and daughter for 2 months and then would have to be deployed to fight in Afghanistan for 7 months.

That's 9 months in total.

There are 48 months in 4 years. 9 months x 4 would be 36 months.

In the span of 48 months, I've done 36 months of military service and only spent a year with my family. So each year, I spent 3 months with my wife and daughter. And 9 months in my job.

And now over those 4 years.

I felt as if the distance between me and my wife and daughter slowly decay. I guess I cannot blame them. I willingly chose to be promoted and that meant I willingly chose to be away from my wife and daughter.

Sometimes Yuki would just say short sentences so she can end our conversation as fast as possible.

Yukino had barely changed, the only change I could recognize is only the decrease of kissing. I don't mind it at all. I'm just glad she still loves me. I'm glad she still takes care of me. Without her, I don't think I would have the will to live.