Chapter 40

Emptiness...

Is what I feel right now.

I feel numb right now. I can't muster up any emotion or pent up feelings. My body just can't do it. What do I do in this type of situation?

Confront her?

But she had already left this early morning. To go back and do the same thing she has been doing for the past few weeks. To cheat behind my back and betray me.

Betrayal is the most devastating attack on the human mind, and body. It could only take so much. And all it took was 1 to completely nullify my entire life.

My entire reason for living had been completely erased.

"Daddy, could you make me some breakfast? I'm hungry."

The familiar voice of my daughter kicked me out of my thoughts. Maybe there is still a reason to live. Because of my daughter. Who was going to help her when she gets a boyfriend?

Most certainly not that bastard who is fooling around with my wife.

Then I noticed Delta, trying to comfort me by licking my face and everything. Which only helped a little bit. He's doing his best to do his job. And now I must do my best as a father.

"Alright, I'll do it. Scrambled eggs again?"

"Yeah."

And so I made her favorite food of the day. Plain scrambled eggs.

You're probably wondering why I didn't confront my wife about the gift last night.

It's because I was too shock to even say anything. So I just sat on the couch, staring at complete darkness for 4 hours. Before falling asleep while sitting up. I hid the gift somewhere that Yukino couldn't reach or even dare to touch.

Litter box.

Anyway, will I confront her about this? Definitely.

Do I think she's having an affair with Hayato? Possibly. My thoughts are battling each other right now as I cook scrambled eggs for the hungry little daughter. Who had no idea that this family could be torn apart if everything I believed is a lie, was actually the truth.

There's no way I would not confront Yukino in front of our daughter. It's a bad example of parenting and not necessary for her to know it until she gets older.

Will I divorce Yukino if she's having an affair?

Yes, I will.

What will I do after that?

I don't know. All I know is that my funeral is about to happen during my deployment after multiple operations. Or maybe I won't even last long enough to be called again. She'll probably gain custody over Yuki while I will already be able to take custody over Delta.

This is all just speculations and predictions. Not 100% future outcomes.

"It's finished."

I dumped the scrambled eggs into a plate and handed Yuki her fork.

"Thanks, daddy."

I only nodded before going back to sitting on the couch, staring at nothing.

I just stopped thinking for a while.

I was beginning to become reminded of the words Yukino said to me during high school. When we confronted each other.

'If this is all it takes to break us apart. Maybe we weren't that close to begin with.'