You Can't Choose Your Parents

"aren't you guys being a tad mean?" Jimin whispers as soon as Jungkook comes into Ara's room, Ara is curled in a ball by his feet, sleeping.

"mean? Hyung- she did this to you, to Ara.. to so many others. She's responsible for so many of those hybrids in that room.. dead"

"but she said she didn't know.."
Jungkook frowns, running his fingers through his own hair as he sighs.

"I won't let her hurt Noona anymore than she has" Jungkook whispers, his eyes never leaving the sleeping fox.

"me neither" Jimin says softly, sighing himself.

This whole situation is messed up.

-

"start from the beginning" Jimin says slowly. Once everyone calmed down they held a meeting with Dr. Lee to get more answers.

Dr. Lee fills him in on what she told the others while Jin brings drinks for everyone.

"so your soulmate is the one who changed your serum?" Yoongi asks, taking in all of thus while he thinks it over.

"y-yes" Dr. Lee sips her water slowly, eyes darting around nervously. Yoongi's eyes narrow at her response but he doesn't push it.

"so why is there no cure? If you can make one to make someone feral certainly your "science" can reverse that?" Namjoon says, scratching his chin in thought.

"i-I don't know much about it to even begin working on one. I would need bloodwork and.. and tests.. if I could just-"

"no" Jimin snarls, making her stop her attempt to stand up and sit back down. "you aren't going anywhere near Ara"

Yoongi stares at the doctor as if deep in thought, watching her closely.

"if I may" Hoseok pips in. "why do you let your soulmate destroy your reputation, your name so easily? Why stay if he is evil?"

Dr. Lee visibly swallows before ducking her head.

"not everyone can choose their soulmate. You can't simply break a bond and move on"

Dr. Lee makes the motion of wiping away tears, which makes Hoseok pat her shoulder in sympathy.

"so that's why you wanted the soul ripping serum made?" Yoongi speaks up, testing his suspicions with a question.

"yes.. I couldn't stand being around his evilness any longer" She whispers, taking another sip and looking pitiful as if she may cry. Yoongi raises his eyebrow and smiles.

"wait didn't you say you didn't know about it? That he went behind your back?" Jimin furrows his eyebrows and looks at the doctor, his eyes changing color with his sudden bad feeling.

"i- I mean after! Jimin, I misspoke! You guys are making me flustered! After I knew.. I thought.. I thought if he was successful I could use it and be free of his evilness. It was so close to completion but we didn't know the cheet-"

Dr. Lee clamps her mouth shut before she reveals too much, looking absolutely horrified.

"or you can start by telling the truth before I lose my patience" Yoongi drawls quietly, watching her eyelids droop.

"what did you.. do to.. me" she pants lightly before falling over, slumping her head on the table.

"is she.." Jungkook trails off, worriedly looking at the doctor.

"don't worry, Kook. She isn't the only nerdy one here" Namjoon grins and high fives Jin.

"nothing a little knock out juice in her water won't solve" Jin grins, his moment of being a bad guy giving him an adrenaline rush.

"she knows more than she's telling. I hope you all caught that" Yoongi says quietly, scooping the fox in his arms and walking to the basement of the house, making sure she's chained up pretty tightly.

He stares down at the helpless fox and wonders how on earth two evil and morally corrupt people can create someone as amazing as Ara.

"i'll get the answers out of you somehow" he vows before walking back upstairs and closing the basement door.

"how is Ara going to take you holding her eomma prisoner?" Hoseok crosses his arms, waiting for his platonic soulmate at the top of the stairs.

"Ara isn't here anymore, Hoba. It's time you accept that" Yoongi says coldly. He knows it'll hurt him but he needs everyone to fight this as if she isn't coming back, because the chance of that being reality is too high to ignore.

-

Dr. Lee wakes up an unknown amount of time later, blinking her eyes to focus as she regains consciousness.

Her eyes aren't quite focused when she spots a small fox scurrying from the darkness, looking terrified. The fox stops when it finally spots her and sits down wrapping his tail protectively around it's paws.

Dr. Lee stares at the fox, knowing already who it is. Even with their clans signature white chested fur now a dark black, she would recognize her daughter anywhere. After all, she's been keeping tabs on her for years.

"you recognize me, don't you Ara?" she whispers, making the fox tilt it's head at her voice before it whines.

The fox slowly creeps closer until it can almost touch her feet. Once Dr. Lee's scent drifts over the foxes nose her hair stands on end and she starts to growl. Dr. Lee smiles, the smile more sinister than anything.

"that's right, my child. It's your eomma" she laughs in delight when Ara starts to lower her body as if ready for an attack. "is that anyway to treat your eomma?"

Ara's eyes narrow, her tail bushing out but before she can pounce Yoongi comes down the stairs and clears his throat. Ara visibly pauses and it's enough for Dr. Lee to reach her foot out and kick Ara in the jaw.

It wasn't hard enough to hurt but Yoongi doesn't care, he surges forward and puts his hand around her throat, squeezing so hard her eyes widen in surprise.

"don't you ever touch her again, you hear me? I will kill you where you stand and think nothing of it" Yoongi growls dangerously close to her ear.

"how.. sweet" she gasps for air between words as Yoongi hasn't let up any. "protecting your.. pack.. bitch"

Yoongi growls low in his throat, squeezing his hand a little rougher before yanking himself away from her. He needs answers so his temper will have to wait.