64 | The Aftermath

Tales of an endless heartCursed is the fool who's willingCan't change the way we areOne kiss away from killing— River by BRKN Love

Cursed is the fool who's willing
Can't change the way we are
One kiss away from killing
— River by BRKN Love

Tales of an endless heartCursed is the fool who's willingCan't change the way we areOne kiss away from killing— River by BRKN Love

I stared at the double doors that led to the operating room where Summer was taken. Two nurses had to restrain me from entering, pinning me down to the ground until I had calmed down. The quiet after the storm was what terrified me the most. The pain in my chest was unlike anything I had experienced my whole life. I expected an unbearable burning sensation, but it was nothing but a dull ache. An excruciating dull ache as if something inside of me had shattered into pieces with no hope for repair.

Exhaling a breath, I raked a hand through my hair.

"Gray," Liam muttered, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Where's Isaac? I asked.

"He's in the police station."

"Go," said Victoria. "We'll be here."

"I can't leave her."

Victoria pulled me in for a bear hug. "I know, Gray. But you need to see through this whole thing, or her sacrifice will be in vain. We'll call you when there's news."

I shut my eyes as Victoria rubbed my back comfortingly. I could hear Summer's voice in my head, reminding me of our promise. I stared down at my hands that were still coated with her blood. She wouldn't want me to be like this.

"I'll be back in a few hours," I said, pulling away.

Liam patted me on the shoulder and accompanied me to the restroom, where I washed off the blood in my hands. He leaned against the tiled wall with his arms crossed over his chest, keeping his focus on me.

I sighed. "I'm not going to do anything stupid, Liam."

"I know," he remarked. "I'm just wondering what this would mean for Summer and the Inner Circle."

I glanced up at him through the mirror. "She already made her decision."

"And you let her?" His eyes widened in disbelief. "Didn't her mother ask you to keep her away?"