58 | Morse Code

Set fire to the altarMiddle finger to the sunNo time for the sacredNo one to save you when I'm done— Devil Inside by CRMNL

Middle finger to the sun
No time for the sacred
No one to save you when I'm done
— Devil Inside by CRMNL

Set fire to the altarMiddle finger to the sunNo time for the sacredNo one to save you when I'm done— Devil Inside by CRMNL

I stared at Summer as she and Isaac filled Victoria and Liam in with what was happening. I studied the intensity in her eyes and the way her jaw clenched when she shared about what went down in New Jersey. My grip tightened around the glass of whiskey as I thought back to the way she looked at me when she told me that she had made her decision.

Her eyes burned with strong determination, the one I feared to see in her. She wanted that life, and I had promised to stand by her choice no matter what it was. A foolish thing for me to do, indeed. However, if that was the path she truly wanted, then there was nothing I could do but keep my end of the bargain.

"What do you want us to do?" asked Victoria.

Summer turned to me with a small smile, and I placed my glass down on the table. I trusted her judgment on this one. Well, she did make a valid point about Victoria and Liam. Their families were also valued members of the Inner Circle, hence why they could be trusted with this information.

If Summer was going to walk through the roads paved by death itself, then I might as well guide her through it and make sure that she reached the end of her journey safely.

I handed Liam the case files of Marina and Daniela Morales. "I need you to look into them. We believe that they've changed their names and faked their deaths. Your grandparents should have access to the database of people whose names legally changed. Isaac will help you."

Liam nodded. "I'll make sure to get this done today."

"Good," I said.

He nudged Isaac on the shoulder, and they both walked out of the living room together. I turned to Victoria next, who was casually sipping a cup of hot tea.

"Queen of Gossip," I snickered.

She glanced up at me and rolled her eyes before setting the cup down on the table. "Do you want to insert a microchip in my brain and download all the information I have on everybody?" she scoffed playfully.