48 | Dominoes

You can't take my youth awayThis soul of mine will never breakAs long as I wake up todayYou can't take my youth away— Youth by Shawn Mendes

This soul of mine will never break
As long as I wake up today
You can't take my youth away
— Youth by Shawn Mendes

You can't take my youth awayThis soul of mine will never breakAs long as I wake up todayYou can't take my youth away— Youth by Shawn Mendes

"I'm sorry for calling you unannounced late last night," I said, smiling politely. "You must've been shocked."

Mr. John smiled back at me. "Not at all, Miss Summer."

He brought the cup of tea to his lips and took a long sip, his eyes shutting briefly in delight. Mr. John carried a light aura, the type that made people feel at ease to talk. It was soothing to be around him but also dangerous. His eyes were bright, yet they held secrets, making it hard to read the thoughts going through his head.

But he knew me more than I knew myself.

I opened my bag and took out a brown folder containing the red envelope and photograph. I placed it on the table and slid it across to John. "Samantha suggested that I come to you. She said you're the only one I can trust with this information."

John placed the cup back down on the table and took the folder, meeting my gaze briefly before opening it. He pulled out the photograph and drew in a deep breath at the sight that greeted him, the disbelief in his eyes.

"This is impossible," he muttered to himself, flipping the photograph over and shaking his head as he read the quote. "Are you aware that I don't only take orders from Mr. Stanford but also from the young master?" he addressed, his tone cautious.

"I do," I smiled, leaning forward on the table with my hands folded together. "I have no doubt that Gray has already asked you to look into what happened in the past, knowing very well that you, yourself, have that information in your head. He's not asking you about it because he knows you signed an NDA."

"Interesting assumption."

"The only problem with what he asked you to do is that there is no information out there about what happened between him and me."

John returned the photograph into the folder. "This picture you have is a good lead."

"And please," I straightened my posture and looked him straight in the eye, "this job should remain only between you and me."