14 | Midnight Memories

It's like I'm frozen but the world still turnsStuck in motion and the wheels keep spinnin' 'roundMovin' in reverse with no way out— Infinity by One Direction

Stuck in motion and the wheels keep spinnin' 'round
Movin' in reverse with no way out
— Infinity by One Direction

It's like I'm frozen but the world still turnsStuck in motion and the wheels keep spinnin' 'roundMovin' in reverse with no way out— Infinity by One Direction

I raked a hand through my hair as I poured myself a glass of whiskey. It was rare for me to drink, but I could use one today after a long, arduous meeting with Alexander. He walked me through the entire plan on the unexpected yet much-foreseen circumstance we were in.

"We're putting the responsibility on you," he said in a stern voice.

My jaw clenched tight. "I do not agree with this. I'm not putting an innocent person in jeopardy."

"The successors would have to take over the duties and responsibilities, regardless of what the circumstances are. You know this very well."

"No," I growled, glaring at him. "There must be a reason why everything was hidden."

"Gray," he said firmly, irritation clouding his eyes. "I was given orders to pass on the instructions on what you should do about the situation. And right now, it's to observe and slowly ease them in."

Grinding my teeth together, I nodded tightly. He could see the defiance in my eyes, but I couldn't care less. The matter at hand was acceptable, but the solution wasn't.

"Mer, you're here."

My head snapped in the direction of Liam's voice, my body suddenly aware of everything in my surroundings. The simple spark that ignited inside me made me realize just how dull my life had been these past few days. I could hear her voice in the living room, the softness in how she spoke causing me to sigh.

I sipped my drink, leaning against the counter. The others were in the living room, waiting for the pizza to arrive. The boys had brought their dates for the night. Daniel came up with the brilliant plan to have a horror movie marathon. There was one goal in that plan, and that was to have the girls scared and snuggling up to them.

Prick.

Among the seven of us, only Garrett, Luke, and Colton were in a serious relationship. Liam had been hopelessly in love with Victoria since middle school, Daniel and Tucker were players, and I wasn't the least interested in the whole relationship crap, noting how fucked up my life was through and through.