22 | Rumors of a Scandal

Step on the glass, staple your tongueBury a friend, try to wake upCannibal class, killin' the son — Bury a Friend by Billie Eilish

Bury a friend, try to wake up
Cannibal class, killin' the son
— Bury a Friend by Billie Eilish

Step on the glass, staple your tongueBury a friend, try to wake upCannibal class, killin' the son — Bury a Friend by Billie Eilish

"Scarlet!" William appeared behind her. "Do you really want to do this right now in front of everyone?" he hissed.

The atmosphere thickened as Scarlet sneered. "I just want to join them."

The unease clutched at my breath as Gray and William shared a look. A frown dominated William's features as he nodded, their silent communication causing Gray's jaw to tighten.

Gray curled his fingers around my hand as he stood, pulling me along with him. "Let's go," he said.

"What's going on here?" Liam questioned in a demanding tone as he approached us. The others appeared a second later, the confusion dancing in their eyes.

"Nothing that concerns you," Scarlet returned.

"What happens in my house concerns me," Liam snapped, his eyes darkening.

Scarlet wasn't the least bothered, ignoring Liam as she took a step closer to Gray. She pressed a finger to his chest, where the shirt's buttons were left undone, sliding it down slowly, tauntingly.

"Is this how you're supposed to let your friends treat your fiancé, pumpkin?" she purred, the words coming from her mouth enough to send my head reeling with questions.

"Fiancé?" questioned Victoria.

Scarlet dropped her hand and scowled at Victoria. "Don't act like you're stupid. You know how our world works."

Victoria returned her words with only a glare as her hands balled into fists. I glanced up at Gray with a blank look. Was it true? He cupped my cheeks, the feeling of his cold hands against my skin sending a shiver down my spine.

"Scarlet's parents offered my father a business proposal a couple of weeks back," he began to explain. "That night three days ago, he—"

"You were with me," I cut him off, my heart picking up speed at the thought of me unknowingly ruining his family's plan.