46 | Shakespeare

To be loved and to be in loveAll I can do is say that these armsAre made for holding you— 18 by One Direction

All I can do is say that these arms
Are made for holding you
— 18 by One Direction

To be loved and to be in loveAll I can do is say that these armsAre made for holding you— 18 by One Direction

"Summer?"

I flinched from the sound and lifted my head to look at the pair of dark eyes gazing at me gently. Her fingers brushed the ends of my hair as she spoke, "Baby, the police asked you something."

My eyes moved towards the man sitting behind a desk. He held a notepad in one hand and a pen in the other. "Summer, can you tell us what happened?" he asked.

I raised my head again to look at the pair of dark eyes; there was something different about them. The familiarity, love, and care it held were replaced by eternal darkness.

"Mommy?" I whimpered.

Her lips lifted into a slight smile, but her eyes were menacing. "Oh dear...what have I done."

A scream erupted from inside me when I realized it wasn't my mother beside me, but a woman with crimson red lipstick and a beaten-up face, a bullet hole right at the center of her forehead. Her features twisted as a sinister grin formed on her face.

I turned abruptly to the man behind the desk. He showed me a toothy, dangerous smile, and I sucked in a breath when I took in his bruised face, his eye sockets empty.

"Come here, baby," they cooed grimly in unison.

Sucking in a breath, I jumped out of the chair and sprinted towards the door. I pulled it open harshly and stepped out in a rush, falling forward into a thick bed of red roses. When I raised my gaze, the man and woman were smiling down at me by the door.

"Goodbye, you little brat."

I woke up with a start, my heart hammering against my chest as sweat trickled down the side of my face. I reached for my phone on the nightstand to switch off the alarm. Grumbling, I checked the time. It was only ten minutes to five in the morning. I didn't recall setting my alarm that early, significantly changing the sound to an annoying wailing siren.