27 | Haunted by the Past

Grab my hand, I'm drowningI feel my heart poundingWhy haven't you found me yet?— Trauma by NF

I feel my heart pounding
Why haven't you found me yet?
— Trauma by NF

Grab my hand, I'm drowningI feel my heart poundingWhy haven't you found me yet?— Trauma by NF

I glanced up from the cards in my hand to the four on the table in front of me. My eyes flickered to Liam, who peered over at me with a blank look on his face. Isaac was sitting opposite me, his eyebrows pulled together as he assessed his chances.

The party at the soccer house was in full swing, and the boys had cordoned off the living room and dining room for Poker Night. Tucker brought in twelve tables, each with their own professional dealers. It was one of the many perks that came along with having a family in the casino business.

Poker Night was an annual event in the soccer house, and it was always kept a secret between the students since any sort of gambling was prohibited in Brickfields. There was yet to be a snitch, but I doubt there would be someone brave enough to do it when the consequence was having to face everyone. We were dealing with actual money. Everyone who joined was aware of the stakes, and they were ready to lose a couple of thousands.

"Mr. Jensen?" the dealer asked.

Luke sighed deeply before chucking his cards down on the table. "Fold," he said, lifting his glass of whiskey to his lips and downing the contents.

The dealer turned to Daniel, who didn't hesitate to throw three chips into the middle of the green felt table. Colton followed suit, while Tucker and Garrett chose to Fold.

"You two are no fun," Isaac huffed.

Garrett shrugged. "I'm content with my three thousand dollars win."

"And I'd rather not lose more," Tucker hissed.

"You should try your luck with slot machines soon," Liam laughed.

"Seriously, babe? Stop passing your bad luck to others," Victoria snorted as she entered the living room with Summer. She bounded over to Liam and kissed his cheek before sitting on his lap.

"How many rounds have you guys played so far?" Summer asked as she walked over to my side. She circled her arms around my shoulders and leaned down, inspecting the cards on the table.