42 | Crossroads

The older I get the more that I seeMy parents aren't heroes, they're just like meAnd loving is hard, it don't always workYou just try your best not to get hurt— Older by Sasha Alex Sloan

My parents aren't heroes, they're just like me
And loving is hard, it don't always work
You just try your best not to get hurt
— Older by Sasha Alex Sloan

The older I get the more that I seeMy parents aren't heroes, they're just like meAnd loving is hard, it don't always workYou just try your best not to get hurt— Older by Sasha Alex Sloan

The air was suffocating.

"How are you feeling?" asked Nana.

"I'm fine," I answered.

I wasn't even close to being okay. Days have passed, and yet my heart still felt like it had been filled with sand, weighed down together with all my sorrows. I had been avoiding them — avoiding the conversation that would take place. They were all liars.

"Summer, we had to protect you."

Gramps' words sliced through me, and I sighed. "I know. Mom always said that the elites were never to be fully trusted."

"It's not only that."

"I don't want to hear it," I snapped, my anger flowing as I met his gaze in a glare. "I don't want to know, and I don't want to hear your excuses."

I stormed out of the dining hall without looking back, passing through the wide, tall hallways until I reached the front door. Everyone in this damned house was a liar. I wanted to get as far away from everything as possible.

It was pouring heavily, and the long driveway was clouded with a thick layer of fog, concealing everything in its wake.

I sprinted down the steps, nearly losing my balance in the process. Then I dashed through the fog and under the rain, desperately searching for the freedom I had yearned for my whole life. I couldn't care less that I was running barefoot. I didn't care about the rain, or the cracking of lightning, and the roars of thunder. I didn't care about the fog that blocked off my sense of sight. I knew these roads like the back of my hand.

I reached the main gate in no time, panting heavily as the tears rolled down my cheeks. I was tired of running away from my problems, but that was exactly what I was doing. I went to Brickfields to find the truth about my mother, and now that it was being handed to me on a silver platter, I was shutting it down.