51 | An Impasse

Run away, hide awayBut still they take you by surpriseDreams where ur murdered— Dreams where You're Murdered by X Lovers

Run away, hide away
But still they take you by surprise
Dreams where ur murdered
— Dreams where You're Murdered by X Lovers

Run away, hide awayBut still they take you by surpriseDreams where ur murdered— Dreams where You're Murdered by X Lovers

The last time I attended a funeral, I ended up fainting. The incident was the topic of main interest for a week amongst our nosy neighbors until they found something more interesting to gossip about. I didn't think I would be attending another funeral anytime soon after my mother's, let alone the funeral of a friend who turned out to be a traitor in his final breath.

I wasn't exactly sure about what to feel.

Nick was my friend, but he almost killed me. I wished I was able to talk to him before he shot himself in the head, which Gray and Isaac believed was murder. The bartender who slipped the drug in my drink was killed in disguise of a suicide.

Everyone in Brickfields found out about Nick's past, but they didn't know about what he almost did the night he died. He had left a suicide note in his pocket detailing the murder he committed and his relationship with his former lover in high school whom he raped.

The weather was dull today, adding to the gloominess that surrounded us. Nick's family was standing across from where I was, crying for their lost loved one. They would have to compensate the family of Nick's victim, but for now, they were grieving. A pang of hurt hit my chest as I watched them, and my grip on Victoria's hand tightened. Gray and I had to tell the others about everything that happened, excluding the letters we were receiving.

Victoria let out a whimper as they lowered the casket, and I glanced away. Gray, Isaac, and Liam were standing beside Jordan, consoling him as he cried silently. Nick was still our friend, and because of that, his betrayal and departure hurt a thousand times more.

I didn't know how long we stood there, staring at the buried casket. His family thanked us for coming to his funeral. But we stayed for minutes on end until it was only us left, wondering why he did what he did.

"He had been acting strange since he came to Brickfields," said Jordan. "I assumed he was in conflict with his family again, so I didn't prod. He never liked talking about the issues he has with them."