04 | New Friendships

Sweet dreams,always thought you were the sweetest thingBut don't cry, consider this a lullaby— Sweet Dreams by Borns

Sweet dreams,
always thought you were the sweetest thing
But don't cry, consider this a lullaby
— Sweet Dreams by Borns

Sweet dreams,always thought you were the sweetest thingBut don't cry, consider this a lullaby— Sweet Dreams by Borns

I was dressed in an oversized black shirt that reached my knees, fresh and clean after a relaxing cold shower. Rubbing the ends of my hair with a towel, I noticed a figure standing by the entrance door.

"Holy sprinkles!" I shrieked, my heart accelerating as my hand released the towel.

Gray looked like a deer caught in headlights, and I gaped at him in confusion, my brain scrambling to formulate a coherent sentence. I sneaked a swift look around the room, looking for Victoria, but she wasn't around. What the actual fuck was he doing here?

"I apologise. I didn't mean to startle you." He squared his shoulders, composing himself. "Victoria instructed me to wait here. I knocked a couple of times, but there was no answer, so I assumed you weren't around."

"I...uhm...what?" I fumbled dumbly, entranced by the rich baritone and smoothness of his voice that perfectly complemented his English accent.

It fit the aloof and distant aura he exhibited, and it almost sounded hot. Liar, it was freaking hot. He also sounded somewhat pleased, the skepticism from earlier undetectable. But his eyes remained guarded, reluctant.

We stared at each other for a ceaseless moment. He was scrutinizing me like I was some unsolved puzzle, a mystery to be deciphered, and I think I mirrored the exact impression.

Gray seemed rather...complex.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked.

"Is there something on mine?" he questioned back, the corner of his mouth lifting into a crooked smile.

I blinked, muddled upon seeing his smile. The silence lengthened as I gazed at him, still utterly confused by his sudden presence.

"Don't worry, Shortcake. You're not my type."

His banter snapped me back from my train of thoughts. He did not just go there. "And you're not mine. Besides, who do you think you are to call me Shortcake?" I barked back with a grimace.