19 | Piggyback Rides

Movin' too fast, moon is lightin' up her skinShe's fallin', doesn't even know it yetHavin' no regrets is all that she really wants— Night Changes by One Direction

She's fallin', doesn't even know it yet
Havin' no regrets is all that she really wants
— Night Changes by One Direction

Movin' too fast, moon is lightin' up her skinShe's fallin', doesn't even know it yetHavin' no regrets is all that she really wants— Night Changes by One Direction

I forced out a laugh and slapped his upper arm, unable to concentrate as his eyes explored mine, burning with sincerity. My heart lurched in my chest.

"That was a good joke," I managed to say, still struggling to ignore the way he was making me feel. "You almost had me there."

"I'm being serious right now," he muttered, then walked ahead of me.

"Damn it, Gray," I cursed under my breath.

I rushed to his side and attempted to match his brisk pace, failing miserably. He noticed my poor self struggling, seeing him slow down until our paces matched.

We walked down the sidewalk in silence, neither of us daring to break the stillness that surrounded us. It hung in the air like the suspended moment before a falling glass shattered on the ground. This wasn't like those previous times where it felt familiar and natural. It was tense and heavy.

It was the silence of uncertainty.

I was the first to speak my mind when I couldn't bear the thoughts that so eagerly wanted to be known.

"What did you mean?" I asked.

"Why do you ask so many questions?" he questioned back.

"I want to know," I demanded. "You can't just spring up with something like that and not expect me to ask."

He suddenly faced me, and I stopped abruptly to gaze up at him.

"You won't understand it," he said in a low, apologizing voice.

"Then make me understand it."

It almost sounded like I was begging for him to tell me what he was thinking about, and in a sense, I was. I was desperate to know what was going inside his head. I was desperate to understand why he was adamant on ignoring me these past few days, even with my efforts to apologize.