02 | Brickfields University

To a world where madness cravesTo a world where hope's enslaved— Tremble for My Beloved by Collective Soul

To a world where hope's enslaved
— Tremble for My Beloved by Collective Soul

Friday afternoon, when my father dropped me off at Brickfields University, I pulled down the hood of my sweater and scanned the area

Friday afternoon, when my father dropped me off at Brickfields University, I pulled down the hood of my sweater and scanned the area. An array of buildings were in front of me, mostly old but elegant looking. Hundreds of people were scattered around: friends talking with each other, parents hugging and kissing their children goodbye, and clusters of students prancing around.

Brickfields was its own community occupying around three hundred acres of land. They were equipped with dormitories, houses, amenities, inside transportation, and various sports fields. They also had their own high school department, situated far from the college buildings. Brickfields was unlike any other school in the country, either. They didn't follow the standard academic calendar, hence why I was here in the last week of March.

A shudder worked its way up my spine, and I released a long breath.

Shoving my clammy hands inside my hoodie pocket, I watched as Richard unloaded my luggage from the trunk and settled them on the ground. He insisted on flying with me to Boston, and since he seemed genuinely excited about the idea, I chose not to burst his bubble. It was good enough that he was trying.

"Do you want me to send you to your room?" he offered.

I placed a hand above the suitcase handle and smiled tentatively. "I'll be fine, Dad. Thanks for bringing me here."

"Come and visit Seattle when you have the time."

"I will."

Richard nodded with a smile, then, with one final glance in my direction, stepped inside the car he rented from the airport and drove away.

I picked up my bags and breathed in deeply.

I was finally here.

I made my way through the crowd of students until finding a booth with people dressed in green shirts that helped with students' luggage. I had mine sent to my new room before heading to the orientation hall.