60 | The Last Promise

And though your arms and legs are underLove will be the echo in yourEars, when all is lost and plunderedMy love will be there still— Requiem on Water by Imperial Mammoth

Love will be the echo in your
Ears, when all is lost and plundered
My love will be there still
— Requiem on Water by Imperial Mammoth

And though your arms and legs are underLove will be the echo in yourEars, when all is lost and plunderedMy love will be there still— Requiem on Water by Imperial Mammoth

Sitting on the bed with my legs crossed, I gazed out the window at the dark sky ahead, the stars plentiful and bright. My mind was completely blank from everything else, aside from the thought of what tomorrow awaited me.

Strong arms wrapped around my waist, and the warmth of Gray's lips against my neck made me shudder. "A penny for your thoughts?" he murmured.

I pivoted around to face him with a smile. A large bath towel was draped across his shoulders, and his expression turned awed as I pushed his damp hair away from his forehead.

"I was thinking about us when we were younger." I grabbed the towel and placed it over his head to rub his hair. "We made a promise to do all the crazy adventures together."

He took both my hands and dropped them on my lap together with the towel. I raised my gaze to meet his scrutinizing stare, a smile finding its way to my lips as he brushed his thumb against my skin.

"You're going to make me promise something again," he said.

My smile dropped. "Am I that easy to read?"

"That's the thing," he muttered unsurely, his eyes darting back and forth between mine, "you're unpredictable at times."

"The weather's beautiful tonight. Do you want to take a stroll downstairs?"

"Let's do that."

Gray walked over to the wardrobe to grab a hoodie, and he slipped into it before tossing me one. Grinning, I pulled it on swiftly and inhaled the scent of lavender. He strode back to the bed and leaned down to kiss me on the lips.

"I love seeing you in my clothes," he whispered against my lips.

"I think I have eight of your hoodies in my closet back in the dorm."

"Keep them. I don't mind."

We slipped into a pair of hotel slippers and exited the room, riding the elevator down to the second floor that led to the hotel's back garden. We strolled around for a while, and I let my eyes wander, mesmerized. We continued further to the west side of the garden until we reached a stone-arched bridge that overlooked a massive pond.