08 | Bruised Balls

A flickering of innocent light,But a fire never burns all the way through a windy nightI can't help but notice that you look so nice— Room by Liza Anne

But a fire never burns all the way through a windy night
I can't help but notice that you look so nice
— Room by Liza Anne

A flickering of innocent light,But a fire never burns all the way through a windy nightI can't help but notice that you look so nice— Room by Liza Anne

Victoria and Liam were delirious.

After an hour of quiet conversations and laughter, Gray and I headed downstairs to look for them. They were at the same spot we left them in. Liam had his arms wrapped around Victoria's waist while she cradled an empty bottle of Jack, talking about how adorable their baby looked.

Gray draped Liam's arm around his shoulder. "Wait here, Shortcake. I'll come back to get Victoria," he said.

"No, I'll follow you."

"Stay here."

I shook my head stubbornly. "I'll manage."

I draped Victoria's arm around my shoulder and gripped her waist with my chin held high. Gray eyed me hesitantly for a few seconds and then started towards the flock of people with Liam. I towed behind him with Victoria, but they moved faster than expected. Victoria and I soon approached the stairs, and I exhaled slowly at the sight of it. Gray and Liam almost reached the second floor. I wanted to call out for Gray and tell him to slow down, but my ego wouldn't dare.

"Summer, I love you so much," Victoria hiccuped as we began to ascend the stairs. I could barely hear her from the blaring trance music. "Do you want me to put in a good word for you?" she asked, poking my cheek.

"Good word for who?"

She pressed her cheek against mine. "A good word to Gray, of course. You were both glancing at each other a lot tonight, and that banter" — she snorted — "is so obvious. I should know. Liam and I are like that."

"You're getting it all wrong, Vee. Gray and I are just friends."

"If you say so, Patrick."

We reached the second floor and carried on straight past the crowd. I still couldn't find Gray and Liam anywhere. I should've listened and stayed downstairs.