55 | The Calm

If I could choose anythingI would be good and bad one dayI would fall into love and stayWould fall into love— Feel Something by Bea Miller

I would be good and bad one day
I would fall into love and stay
Would fall into love
— Feel Something by Bea Miller

If I could choose anythingI would be good and bad one dayI would fall into love and stayWould fall into love— Feel Something by Bea Miller

My eyes narrowed as I pulled the trigger. Tilting my head slightly to the right, I grinned at my accomplishment — eight perfect shots at the center and five near-perfect ones. I placed the pistol down on the wooden platform next to the revolver and rifle, then turned to Gray. He was nodding his head, keeping a calm expression on his face. I pressed a palm over his heart and smiled at its erratic pounding.

Gray first dragged me to this private shooting range after we returned to Boston, and we've frequently been coming here for three days straight.

"Wicked," he muttered, raising his gaze once more towards the shooting target. "You've perfected your aim in three days."

"And it's all thanks to you."

"And your archery skills."

Gray wiggled his eyebrows playfully, and we both laughed. His hand cupped my cheek, and he leaned in to kiss me on the lips. I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him closer until our bodies were flushed against each other. Whenever I was with him, the world stopped still on its axis, and my mind was at peace. I could feel it growing inside me — the love I had for him. Every day, it got deeper, more complete, and more bewitching, and every time I thought about those feelings, the world seemed better and less intimidating. I loved him, and there wasn't anything I wouldn't do to protect him.

Gray pulled away softly and whispered against my lips. "You're beyond magnificent, Shortcake."

"Thank you, Nincompoop."

"We should work on what you call me." He brushed his lips across my cheek, reaching my earlobe, his hot breath causing a shiver to roll down my neck. "Baby, perhaps?"

I grinned playfully. "Maybe another day."

Gray and I drove back to his lake house, where the others were already waiting. I was fully convinced that it was a Stanford thing to live in the middle of nowhere, and Gray would definitely buy a house in the North Pole if he had the opportunity. He preferred the isolation and quietness that nature provided, and I understood why. Life on a daily basis was already hectic enough for him.