63 | Grand Finale

You're the real tough cookie with a long historyOf breaking little hearts like the one in meThat's okay, let's see how you do itPut up your dukes, let's get down to it

Of breaking little hearts like the one in me
That's okay, let's see how you do it
Put up your dukes, let's get down to it...
— Hit Me With Your Best Shot by ADONA

As the sun beat down on my shoulders, the tension in my chest worsened

As the sun beat down on my shoulders, the tension in my chest worsened. Scarlet had forcefully dragged me out of the warehouse with the gun pressed against my lower back, the sirens deafening as soon as we were out in the open. Multiple possibilities could happen in the next fifteen minutes, and I was thoroughly aiming for the one where nobody gets hurt. Not even Scarlet.

"Look ahead," Scarlet demanded. "Your sweet boyfriend is waiting for you."

Clenching my jaw, I raised my chin.

Gray stood a few meters ahead with his hands balled into fists, still looking as perfect as I had last seen him. I unwillingly tore my gaze from his face and focused on the five black Mercedes behind him. Ten men dressed in full black suits were standing behind the opened doors, their bodies slightly hunched as they aimed their weapons in my direction.

I peered over at the very back where the ambulance was parked. Two nurses were standing on each side, ready if something didn't go according to plan.

Gray was brutal, almost heartless, if I may say. He initially wanted to kill Scarlet immediately to get this whole thing done as quickly as possible, but I disagreed. I wasn't ready to deal with the mess and turmoil that came with murder. I knew the path I had chosen would lead me to another scenario wherein I would have to commit the ultimate crime, but everything was still very new to me.

I wasn't ready to have someone's blood on my hands.

Gray was conflicted with my plan, but he decided to go with it. Our top priority was to make Scarlet surrender; killing her was our last resort.

Scarlet squeezed my shoulder roughly, and I stopped in my tracks.

"It's been a while, Gray. Miss me?" she shouted.

"Let her go, Scarlet," he demanded in a firm voice. "We don't want to hurt you."

"Go fuck yourself in hell!" she raged, pressing the gun harder against my back, causing my face to contort in pain. "Why should I listen to you?"