65

Three weeks ago, Jihyo took a qualification exam as an exchange student in the United States. It has been her long-time goal ever since she entered college and she's very vocal about it since her freshman year. When an opportunity suddenly came to her, though without any much preparation, Jihyo thought that she should grab it no matter what. She'd rather fail the exam than dealing with what-ifs for not taking it.

~~~

< a few days after Jihyo took the exam>

"How's the result of the exchange program qualification exam, Ji?"

Asked Hosoek during their lunch break.

"The result isn't announced yet. I think it'll come out before the semester break."

"That's a month from now."

"Yeah, why are you asking though?"

"Why? Am I not allowed to be curious?"

JIhyo shrugs her shoulders and sips her cola.

"Come to think of it, if you fail the exam--"

"Don't jinx it!"

She said as she hits him in his shoulder

"Ouch! (tends his aching arm) I'm not! All I'm saying is 'what if', you know. Again, if you fail the exam which I do not wish for (he added quickly) you'll stay here with us. We will not be going to miss you and definitely take advantage of your talent during our school events."

"Huh!"

"But if you pass, you're going to stay in the US for a whole semester. That's three months of being alone and lonely, you know."

"Very encouraging, Hoseok!"

She rolled her eyes and bite on her sandwich begrudgingly.

"Hehe... on the contrary, you'll have a chance to meet your mom--"

"I'm not meeting her, Hoseok. I applied in the exchange student program for my dreams."

"Oh, I'm just saying. I didn't say you're gonna meet her for sure. Don't get mad at me, Ji. Anyway, what's so special about studying in the US anyway? With your talent, you can also get recognition here in Korea."

"Ever since I was young I wanted to go to the US to study. There's nothing much special about it except fulfilling my childhood dream, I guess? That's the reason why I'm studying the English language, remember?"

"(chewing) Whatever, just remember I'll support you no matter what, Ji."