Chapter Twenty-Nine

Scarlett

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Pheonix shouted at our unexpected guest.

Luke was standing with my dad at the doorway that was now occupied by none other than Chase.

My brows knitted together. "Chase?"

"Hey," He spoke in a quiet voice, trying to avoid the death stare that Pheonix was giving him.

Nix shook his head. "No, don't "hey" her. You need to go," He lashed out.

"Nix, calm the hell down," Luke took a step between them as my dad's face twisted in confusion, trying to figure out what was happening.

"Phoenix, who are you yelling at?" Aunt Sophie came into the entryway with my mom, Aunt Ava, Uncle T, and Uncle H behind her looking worried. "Oh, hello," She said awkwardly when her eyes fell to Chase.

Chase's face turned bright before raising his head towards our parents. "I'm sorry for stopping by unannounced, but," He paused, finally making eye contact with Phoenix. "We need to talk."

He scoffed loudly. "Talk about what? You being friends with someone that almost killed my fucking girlfriend? Yeah, ha, maybe we should have a chat."

Uncle T made his way beside Nix and me. "Son, you need to take a breath."

"Just listen to what he has to say," Luke insisted.

Phoenix cocked his head to the side. "How did you know we were here at Scarlett's house?" He asked Chase.

Luke and him shared a look. "I..um..I," Chase was having a hard time mustering up the words.

"I told him," Luke chimed in.

Our eyes were now glued on him in surprise.

Phoenix glared at Luke. "Why would you do that?"

"He said he was willing to testify," He tried to explain.

"Really? That's great news," My dad spoke up with a hint of relief in his eyes.

Nix shook his head, trying to comprehend what was going on. "I don't understand. Are you two friends now? You just randomly started opening up to someone that could very well be just as much of a piece of shit as that psychopath, Luke?"

Luke took another step forward. "Shut up. I already told you that Chase wasn't like that. He came here to help us, Phoenix."

"Boys, calm down. There is no need for anyone to get so heated up right now," Aunt Sophie said in a stern tone.

Chase walked up next to Luke. "I was the one that reached out to him. He didn't do anything wrong, okay? And I promise I am only trying to do what's right. If you would just listen to what I have to say, then maybe you will understand whose side I am on."

My hand softly grabbed Phoenix's arm. "Babe," I spoke up as his eyes found mine. "Give him a chance. I think he is being genuine. Luke has better judgment than all of us, and if he trusts him, then so do I."

He let out a loud sigh, closing his eyes before turning back to Chase. "Fine."

Luke looked at me gratefully, giving me an appreciative smile. The way he was so quick to defend Chase against Phoenix, who could most likely destroy him with one punch, nearly put me in shock. It was like a flip switched off in him, and he became protective. Kind of like when I felt no other choice but to jump between Phoenix and that brick because I wanted to protect the one I loved most at all costs. Wait...my eyes widened as I looked between Chase and Luke, who stood side by side. Could it be? No, I'm probably reading into things. My brain is obviously still fuzzy.