Chapter Nineteen

Scarlett

Once we arrived at the batting cages, we hopped out of the car and headed towards the entrance. Phoenix paid for everything before we were set up with protective gear and two bats. One for him and one for me. After that, we were taken to the practicing cage that would be ours for the next hour or two.

"Alright, you want to go first or me?" He wondered

I scanned around the building, spotting several people knowing what they were doing. I'm so about to embarrass myself completely. "Um, you first."

Nix smiled sweetly, kissing me on the cheek before putting on his helmet. As he walked into the cage, he went over to the pitching machine to set it to the speed he wanted.

Phoenix ran over to the plate, getting into his batting position when a light signaled it would pitch.

*Swoosh*

A ball flew out towards him like a rocket, barely skimming the bat as he swung. If this were a game, it would be deemed as a foul ball.

"You got his Zeller!" I yelled out encouragingly.

He glanced back at me for a second, giving me a wink while I stood at the fence watching that sexy ass man do his thing.

*Swoosh*

Another ball came out, hitting it straight into the net in the back this time. I jumped up and down like he had scored in a game. It had me remembering all the games I went to of his and Ryder's in the past. I liked to think of myself as their biggest fan back then, but some girls tried to out cheer me in those stands, let me tell ya. It doesn't matter now, though, because I filled the spot for number one fan, and I'm never giving up the title.

*Clink*

Phoenix hit another.

"Yeah, that's my man!"

A sweet grin formed on his lips before he focused back on the machine. Several pitches later, he was done after hitting almost all of them in the back net.

I walked in to help him gather up the balls. "Nothing like seeing you play in person rather than on a TV screen. You're just as handsome either way, though."

Nix made his way over to me, wrapping his hands behind my lower back. "I always heard the camera adds ten pounds."

Both my brows raised. "Ten pounds of muscle, maybe."

We both softly laughed as he brushed a wild strand of hair behind my ear. "It was always a good game when I saw your face in the stands. I wish I could see you in our stadium back in Florida for our games there too," My face slightly falls, thinking about him going back to college. He picked up on it and gently lifted my chin. "Hey, I know that look. Don't go thinking about the end of summer when we're still in the middle of it. As much as I dread it, I'm not going to let it get me down because I want to spend every second I can making memories with you...ones that will keep me going."