Chapter Seventeen

Phoenix

I made my way through crowds of people, trying my best to keep my eye on the back of her head. "Scar, stop!" I shouted. She didn't even acknowledge me, unlike everyone else around us. "Scarlett...please wait," I spoke up again as she got trapped behind a large group of people.

When I caught up to her, I felt like such an asshole seeing the hurt and sadness all over her sweet face. I reached for her arm, but she pulled away. "I don't want to be here. I want to go."

My head nodded up and down a few times. "Then let's go," I suggested, but she shook her head as tears started to fall from her chin. "Baby, talk to me."

"I don't want to talk."

"Then drive with me," My eyes stared back into hers. "Please," I begged.

Scar didn't say a word but instead reluctantly agreed. "Okay."

Okay," I repeated, relieved.

We began to walk back to where we parked. I wanted to have my hand on her, to hold hers in mine, but I didn't think she would be too excited about that right this second.

Once we got on the road, all you could hear was the deafening sound of absolutely nothing but the tires hitting the pavement below. She didn't want to talk at all, but at least I have her here with me. There is so much I want to say to her, and I know she has a lot on her mind, but I just want to help ease Scar's worries or whatever she is feeling. She needs to know that she is the only one I think about. The only one I can see myself with. The only one I want to go through the good and the bad with. The only one that fucking matters. It's her, the one.

I drove around aimlessly in the city for a bit while she stared out the window with the wind blowing her long brown hair behind her. That's when I decided to take her somewhere I have never taken anyone before.

"Where are we going?" Her brow raised curiously after speaking to me at last.

"You'll see," I gave her a soft, reassuring smile.

It was only another minute or so as I took an exit off the main road and onto a dirt path before I parked my car at the same place I always did when I came here.

Scarlett's eyes lit up, looking around the area

I took in a deep breath of fresh air, letting it out slowly. "This is my spot."

Suddenly her brows knitted together, and that pained face appeared on her again. "What kind of spot? Not one you...take other people to, I hope."

"What? No. No one has even been here before with me," I quickly explained.

As soon as my words came out, she nodded and began to relax her body back against her seat. All that I could think about was how grateful I was that she was even talking to me. That's all that mattered. I just needed to hear her voice. "How did you find this?" She turned her head, placing her stare on me.