Chapter Forty-Five

Sam

The voice of a woman on the radio in the front of the cop car echoed around me as she tried to communicate with different officers. My hands were cuffed behind me while I sat down, staring out the window of the car.

The blood in my veins was still running hot when the situation replayed in my head. Vee's broken voice over the phone, telling me what Jesse did. God, I could barely believe it at first. It's not that Jesse has a spotless record and it surprised me, but because Vee was one in a million. That bastard was lucky to have her in his life, and the fact he threw all that away for a night with a dumbass girl like Amber makes me want to punch his stupid face in until he understood that. Not a single person in the world is worth cheating on anyone with.

Hell, I'm no saint, but being someone that was once cheated on, I would never fucking do that to another soul. That pain and worthlessness you feel inside that you're stuck with for so long, trying to escape it, isn't what I would wish on my worst enemy. I think this whole situation made my mind go back into those dark times I went through, and it hit me a lot closer to home.

It's been a while, but I remember that time in my life like it was yesterday. My senior year of high school, getting ready to go to college to live out my dream of playing baseball for the rest of my life alongside the girl I once called my forever love. The one I had imagined seeing walk down the aisle to me, but that image quickly vanished when it was replaced with one of her sleeping with my best friend. It was that moment when my heart turned to stone, and I swore never to give it to anyone else.

When I finally dug out of that darkness full of betrayal and anger, I found myself again as soon as I was in college. I became the guy that was known to hop from bed to bed instead of into relationships. Everyone likes to poke fun at me because of it, but little do they know that I used to be one of them...someone madly in love with another, but my story became more of a nightmare instead of a happily ever after like theirs.

So, when I heard Vee and saw her in person, looking at me with her devastated face, I knew exactly how she felt. I knew that what she would be going through after this wasn't going to be easy, but I'd like to think we're all going to be there for her. Yeah, we may have become friends with her because she and Jesse started to date, but we aren't friends with her only because of that.

Suddenly the car door was opened beside me as an officer lightly grabbed my arm, helping me out of it. We were at some side entrance of the jail that I have only ever passed by a few times living around here, and now I'm about to be taken inside. The last thing I planned to be doing tonight was going to jail, but here we are with new plans, and yet I don't regret shit. I'd do it again if I had the chance and maybe get in another hit or two. The asshole deserved it.

"Let's go," The burly cop urged me to walk towards the double doors with no sign of Jesse around.

The second I made my way inside, I took a deep breath, noticing the area where I assumed they took your mugshot. Well, I doubt this picture is going to make the Christmas card this year.

~~

Scarlett

Once Ryder got off the phone and told us what Vee said, we immediately rushed to the county jail to meet her. No one had any idea what the hell we were walking into or what could have possibly happened, but we were there no matter what. Vee sounded so upset that I wanted to get there as soon as possible to be there for her. Whatever went on between the three of them obviously wasn't going to be a good story to hear or easy to tell.

Jack and Luke ended up taking my car back to their hotel instead of staying over for tonight because they didn't want to overwhelm anyone and have the first time meeting the group be at a jail. I know Nix wanted me to stay back because of everything that had happened already with me in the last 24 hours, but Vee and Sam dropped everything to be there for me, so it's my turn to do the same for them.