Chapter Fifty-Two

Sam

Kole's arm smacked me in the face as I was dead asleep, jolting me awake in pain. He nestled his dumb head back in his pillow, still happily sleeping. As I held my nose, I glared at him, wishing that I didn't agree to room with this giant ass ogre and have to sleep in the one queen bed we had to share.

After the pain subsided, I laid there on the very edge of the bed, trying to fall back asleep, but it felt impossible now. Instead of tired, I became thirsty, so I rolled out of bed and made my way to the kitchen.

I grabbed a glass from the cupboard, filling it up with water from the sink. Suddenly the sound of snoring from the living room drifted into the kitchen as I quietly chuckled to myself before gulping the entire glass.

Once I set the glass back down in the sink, I walked over to the sliding glass door where the moon was shining brightly through. I stood there, looking out into the beautiful night sky until I caught movement from something in the distance. I narrowed my eyes until I saw that it was a person sitting out on the beach right by the house.

"What the hell," I whispered in confusion.

Why is there someone out on the beach at this time of night, and why are they so close to our property?

My curiosity and concern got the best of me as I quietly opened the back door before heading down the walkway to the beach. I slowly walked, hoping to not scare the stranger when I realized the person wasn't a stranger at all....it was Vee. What is she doing out here all by herself?

When I got closer, I could hear her voice. She was on the phone with someone, and whoever was on the other end of the call wasn't making her happy. My jaw tightened, jumping to the conclusion that it was Jesse because honestly, the only one that could have her sounding so upset and angry right now was that jackass.

I stopped just at the bottom of the path when I heard her say, "well, we don't have any sort of relationship now, so I think your plate should feel so much lighter." Ha, so it is the dumbass, after all. Vee, why did you answer the damn phone? If I were with you when he called, I would have blocked his ass from ever getting to hear from you again.

"No, I'll continue being like this because, in the end, you fucking made me this way," Her voice echoed in agitation.

That's it. Don't take any of his bullshit. Stay strong and give it right back. Part of me wants to walk over, take the phone, and give him another piece of my mind but I know Vee can handle herself. She's always been the type to stand up for herself and others. I know how fucking hard she has taken this, and recently she hasn't been the same Vee I'm used to, but that fire inside her was dimmed by Jesse. Now is the time to be around people who will only build up the flames and get rid of those that only aim to put them out completely.

The next words from her mouth tugged at my heart. "Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive you because I would have chosen the pain of being broken up with over the pain of the one you love fucking someone else while they had your entire heart in their hands any day...and one last thing before I hang up...you not only lost me, but I hope you know that you lost some of the best friends you could have ever had in your life. Your fucking brothers. You chose some stuck-up pieces of shit over family, and that right there showed me your true colors before I even found out everything else. It's funny how I thought you and I would end up being a family, but then your friends ended up showing me that they were the family I belonged with all along. So, if there is anything to thank you for, it would be for them."

The corners of my lips softly curved up. All she spoke was the fucking truth, and in this case, I hope it hurt him like hell. Jesse proved to us all that he was nothing but a fake friend, but at least we found a real one in Vee. I considered him my brother, so it makes me kind of sad when I realize he was more of an imposter, playing a role as one. At the end of the day, though, he lost a loyal group of people, but we only lost a wolf in a sheep's clothing.