Chapter Thirteen

Scarlett

*CRASH*

I jolted awake and looked around the room, remembering where I was. Phoenix was still sound asleep next to me, but I could have sworn I heard something downstairs. "Nix...Babe, wake up," I whispered loudly as I shook his shoulder.

"Hm?" His voice was groggy.

"I think someone's inside the house with us."

He started to sit up when we heard another loud bang of something that sounded like it hit the ground. Phoenix turned to me, now alert and awake. "What the hell was that?"

"I don't know, but I'm scared," My eyes started to tear up.

His arm wraps around me comfortingly. "Hey, shhh. It's okay, Scar. I'll go check it out."

"I'm coming with."

"No, stay here where you're safe."

I knitted my brows together. "No, I'm not staying here alone."

"This is not the time to be stubborn," He stared at me as I stared right back until he caved like usual. "Fine, but you stay behind me."

"Okay...wait," I ran to my closet to grab a baseball bat I kept on the top shelf for self-defense. "Here, just in case."

He took it from me. "It has pink sparkles all over it."

"Do you really think a burglar is going to question you about that?"

"I guess you have a point...come on," Pheonix got up, putting me safely behind him as we walked to my door. He slowly opened it and we made our way down the hall where we couldn't hear a thing until we got to the stairs. There were what sounded like a couple of muffled voices. My heart rate was going up every second. Please don't let this be the night I die. Not tonight of all nights.

Nix put his free hand back as I held onto it tightly. Once we made it to the bottom of the stairs, those voices grew louder. So much so they also became oddly familiar. A girl's laugh echoed over from the living room. One that I knew all too well. No, that couldn't be. Could it?

I released Nix's arm and quickly went over to turn on the light in the room. The sight I saw next was only one I would have expected in my nightmares. "Ry...Ryder? Lily?" I yelled out in shock.

"Scar? What the hell?" Ryder's face turned ghostly white, standing there in his boxers over the top of a half-naked Lily on the couch.

"Oh shit," Her eyes became so wide that I thought they were going to fall out.

They both scrambled to get up to their feet as my brother threw a blanket over Lily to cover her up before grabbing a couch pillow for himself. My jaw might as well have been superglued to the floor at this point.

"Holy shit," Phoenix's face matched mine.

"What are you doing here, Scar? I thought you were spending the night at Jack's?" Ryder asked, flustered.

I freeze in place, realizing the giant ass hole I just fell into and can't get out of. Oh god. I slowly glance at Nix for any sort of help, but he looked just as speechless.

Lily chimed in. "Phoenix, why are you holding a little pink bat?"

"Why are you two down here breaking shit half-naked?" He retorted.

My eyes narrowed. "What the hell even was that?"

Lily's cheeks turned bright red. "Just some stuff on the coffee table..."

I looked down to see several books, a bowl, and coasters all over the floor.

Ryder snapped me right back into the situation as he spoke up. "Better question, why is Phoenix here with you in the middle of the night, and where the fuck are your clothes?"