Chapter Thirty-One

Phoenix

Once we walked out of Ty's house, I ended up taking Scar, Lily, and Jackson in my car since Luke took off in his car with Chase. The drive back was filled with weird silence, but you could tell our minds were flooding with several loud thoughts and questions.

When I got to our road, I pulled into Scar's driveway, knowing Ryder and Mia would be anxiously waiting to hear what happened.

We hopped out of my car and headed for the front door, but as Scarlett opened it, the sound of Ryder's voice blared towards us. "Damn you! You fucking cheated!" 

The four of us looked at each other in curiosity before walking towards the large doorway of the living room. Ryder and Mia were sitting on the long couch while Aunt Sawyer and Wolfie sat on the floor by the coffee table.

Mia softly chuckled in amusement. "Ryder, you can't cheat in Scrabble."

Aunt Sawyer rubbed her temples. "Don't you think you're being a little aggressive, sweetie? It's just a boardgame."

Ryder crossed his arms. "I refuse to believe aquafaba is a word."

"Actually, according to the Scrabble dictionary, it is one. It means water in which chickpeas or other pulses have been cooked," Wolfie read off of his phone.

"What the...there's a damn dictionary for this game too?" Ryder huffed.

Scarlett and Lily began to giggle beside me when all of them looked over at us standing there, taking in the comical show they were giving us.

"Oh, hey! You guys are back," Mia exclaimed.

Lily walked in first, heading to Ryder, who was sulking on the couch. "Hey, grumpy."

"Don't ever play scrabble with your twin if you don't want to pull your hair out," He said.

She rolled her eyes, laughing. "Mia has always been miss smarty pants. That's why she gets the good grades," Lily leaned down to peck him on the lips before sitting beside him on the couch.

"So, how did it go?" Wolfie asked.

Scar grimaced. "It could have gone better."

I placed my hand on her lower back, leading her in to sit on one of the other couches with me.

"Yeah, if only Alex didn't show up, we just might have been able to talk Ty into helping us," Jackson spoke in agitation as he plopped down on the floor.

Aunt Sawyer's eyes widened. "He was there?"

"What did he want? Did he do anything?" Wolfie's voice was filled with worry.

I shook my head. "No, nothing bad happened. I mean, there were a few choice words said between all of us, but luckily nothing insane happened."

Ryder furrowed his brows. "What did he have to say, and what was Ty's excuse for helping him?"

"A bunch of bullshit...the both of them," Jackson said.

The four of us went on to explain the whole thing to them, only getting us all riled up again. We left the part out about Chase and Luke. That didn't seem like something we should be speaking on, and to be honest, I'm still a little confused about it. But regardless, it would be best to let Luke speak on that when he wants to.

"Woah, that's crazy that Ty said all that shit about a guy who is clearly a psychopath," Mia scoffed in disbelief.

"And you guys really think Alex might be holding something over him to get him not to talk?" Aunt Sawyer questioned with a quizzical brow.