Chapter Sixteen

Phoenix

This afternoon Ryder and I helped out our old high school baseball coach in his summer camp that he created for those who wanted the extra practice in their off-season. He has a decent group of guys from the looks of it too. They are each determined and filled with talent. I think they just might make it far in the season if they keep their heads up and in the game.

"Alright boys, gather round!" Coach T yelled, catching everyone's attention as his voice echoed down the field. The team jogged over and surrounded him. They were dripping in sweat from the scorcher of a day we had. "That's going to be it for today, but I want you all to thank Ryder Wolf and Phoenix Zeller for coming to help out. They came on their own time to offer you advice and improve your skills, so I would be very appreciative of that. These two are going places in their baseball careers. Remember their names and words they shared with you today because someday they may be on one of your favorite teams in the majors."

The boys all yelled out "thank you" to Ryder and me as we each gave them an appreciative smile, nodding gratefully before Coach T spoke up again. "With that said, you all kicked ass out there and deserve a pat on the back. Now, go home and rest up until tomorrow."

Shortly after, the team dispersed in different directions as Coach walked over to us.

"It seems you have a good team this season," Ryder said, looking over at all the players quickly emptying the parking lot.

I nodded. "Yeah, at least the ones that showed up today."

"They are all good guys. I think we may have a chance at the championships this year," Coach spoke in a wistful tone.

Ryder raised a brow with a slight smirk formed on his lips. "Are you trying to replace the previous championship team?"

"After everything we went through to get there? I see you, Coach," I added in a joking manner.

Coach shook his head, laughing along with us. "Would you two knuckleheads quit! If I'm lucky, this team will be as good as your championship team then. That is what I'm hoping for. I even see a couple of kids that remind me of you two out on the field."

"Oh yeah? Well, then be sure to make them do just as many laps around the field as you made the two of us do during practices," I smiled.

"I won't have to because they aren't as obnoxious on the field as you jokesters were."

Ryder chuckled loudly while we remembered the good old days. "But we were your favorites nonetheless."

The corner of Coach T's lips curved up. "Thanks again for coming out today and helping. I appreciate it."

"Of course, Coach. It was actually kind of fun," I said.

"It was," Ryder agreed. "I felt like we were back in high school again.

"Nothing like college ball, though. I have been keeping up with you two over in Florida. You have been making this coach proud for sure!" We both smiled at him. "And you, Phoenix, you're looking more like your dad out there every game. Pretty soon, you will be throwing those damn fastballs that look like flaming rockets as he did. Just have to keep up that practice."

"No one can really compete with him, but I'm trying my hardest and best out there."

He nodded. "That's true. He was one hell of a pitcher, but you have that Zeller blood in you. You might even surpass his talent someday."

I gave him a small smile, trying to appreciate his encouragement. "Yeah, ha. We'll see."

He turned to face Ryder. "You must be making your dad proud out there too. Your batting average nearly blew everyone away this last season in Florida."