Chapter Six

Scarlett

                   Scarlett's Bedroom

                   Scarlett's Bedroom

Once I woke up this morning, I couldn't go back to sleep. Every word Phoenix said to me yesterday by the pond replayed over and over inside my head. He had feelings for me all this time, and I never once would have even thought that. Holy shit. How is this even real? I felt like yesterday had to have been a dream once I opened my eyes, but when I saw Nix had texted me, my heart leaped for joy. I'm pretty sure I might have even shed a tear. "Good Morning Beautiful," it read. Since then, I couldn't wipe off the cheesy smile on my face.

Yesterday we ended up talking for a while as I laid on his chest in the grass. He had wrapped me up in his protective arms, feeling the warmth of his body so close to mine. It was a moment I never wanted to leave. I never wanted to forget. The moment when one of my biggest dreams actually came true. Phoenix Zeller, the boy that took up the most space in my heart for so many years, confessed to me. Never in a million years did I expect to wake up yesterday morning from a night from hell and go to sleep later that same day after the best day of my life.

I smiled, feeling over the moon. But then thoughts of what-ifs and doubts crept in. What if his feelings change when we hang out more? Is this just a summer fling to him? And what will happen when he goes back to college? Oh god, and Ryder. What will he think? This is going to be so hard keeping a secret from everyone, but right now, it seems like the best choice. I don't want to take any chances on destroying whatever this is with Nix. Plus, a secret romance could be kinda hot.

Just as I was overthinking and worrying about everything in bed, my door flew open as a very sweaty Ryder and Phoenix came in. "Rise and shine, little sis!"

It startled me so much that I jumped back, hitting my head on my headboard. "Shit, ow," I groaned.

A hint of a smile appeared on Phoenix's face. "Whoops, you good Shortcake?"

They both broke out in laughter as I looked at them in agitation, rubbing the back of my head. "Why does no one knock anymore? My god, you guys need to take a class on manners."

"Jeez, looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed grumpy," Ryder teased.

My forehead creased. "No, I just have two big smelly goofs barging into my room unannounced."

"Smelly?" He tilted his head.

Phoenix slightly smirked. "Goofs?"

"Yes, and yes," I said with my head held high.

They looked at each other then back at me very mischievously.

"I know those faces...no, no, no, don't you," Before I could finish they charged for my bed, jumping on it with the biggest grins plastered on their faces. "Ah, no stop! Ryder! Nixie!" I squealed.