Epilogue

-Two years later-

Scarlett

I was in the bathroom, carefully applying my mascara and jamming out to the CoComelon soundtrack that blared from downstairs. I'm not going to lie...I can't wait till Angel's music choices change. CoComelon has become a strict religion at this point in our family.

*Woof, woof*

"Ah, shit," The tip of my mascara stabs my eyeball

"Ah, shit," The tip of my mascara stabs my eyeball. "Mochi, you scared the hell out of me," I grabbed a tissue, trying to stop my eye from watering like a faucet. With my other eye I stared down at the sweet furball in the doorway, whipping his tail around. "I'm so glad you find happiness through my pain."

*Woof*

A soft chuckle escaped me as I did my best to clean up the mess now on my eyelid. "Did those two troublemakers send you up here?" I asked him as he came over, sitting down beside my leg and resting his head up on the bathroom counter. "Just give me a minute, and then we will go see what they're up to," My hand stroked his back.

Phoenix and I really wanted to get a dog, especially for Angel, because she was obsessed with any animal she set her sights on. Her heart is so pure, and for being only two years old, she's incredibly gentle with them.

Last Christmas, we decided to stop by the shelter just to see if there was a dog we felt was a good fit for our family. Every kennel we passed had a paper with details about the dogs, and almost every one of them required no kids under a certain age until we stopped at the very last kennel in the far corner of the building. There was a rather fluffy ball of brown and black fur curled up in a ball on a mat. His name was Mochi, and he was three years old, being rescued from the side of a highway. I knelt down, calling his name as his ears perked up, and the sweetest face looked back with eyes I instantly fell in love with. He resembled my childhood dog, Rebel, which made the decision that much easier. Our Mochi, or Momo as Angel calls him, was meant to be in our family. We left the shelter that day and never looked back since.

Once I had touched up my face, I made sure to remember to quickly take my meds before following Mochi out of our bedroom and towards the stairs of our house. It still smelt like a new home with freshly painted walls and untouched carpet. Well, minus the tiny juice stain from Angel's leaky sippy cup in the playroom, but I did my best at hiding it with a chair. We had been living here almost a month now, and every day I feel more blessed to share this home with my two favorite people.

The sounds of little giggles and the song Humpty Dumpty became louder as I took the last step off the stairs. "Daddy, you're messy!"

When I got to the kitchen, my heart melted at the sight in front of me. Angel was standing up on a chair against the kitchen counter as she helped Phoenix make breakfast.

 Angel was standing up on a chair against the kitchen counter as she helped Phoenix make breakfast