Chapter Ten

Phoenix

I was in the kitchen, making myself a bowl of cereal, when Jackson walked in.

"Morning," He said, giving me a slight smirk as I scooped a spoonful of fruit loops into my mouth.

My brows furrowed at his face that looked way too chipper for the morning. "Hey," I mumbled while I chewed and went over to sit down at the counter. Jackson made his way to the fridge, staring at me with the same goofy-ass look still. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just still trying to wrap my head around last night."

"Which part? Where my ex showed up, some bitch from high school didn't know when to shut up, or the tension between everyone in the room?" I asked, my words laced heavily in sarcasm.

Jackson grabbed the orange juice from the fridge and a glass in the cupboards before setting them on the counter. "Actually, I was talking about you and Scar having a secret relationship."

"Oh yeah, there's that too, but it's not a relationship...yet."

"What do you mean?" He raised a brow.

"Well, it's not an official relationship, I guess you could say."

His hand wrapped around the cup of orange juice as he lifted it up to take a couple of gulps. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, narrowing his eyes at me. "So, when is it going to be an official relationship then?"

I glanced over towards the kitchen window above the sink. "I'm not sure."

"Do you want it to be official?"

My brows raised at the question. "What? Of course I do."

"Then what the hell are you waiting for, Nix?"

I softly shrugged. "I don't want her to feel like I'm rushing her."

Jackson let out a laugh. "You're joking, right? Scar has had a thing for you for so damn long. I think if you asked her the day you guys started whatever this is, she would have said yes." I smiled, shaking my head at his words. "That girl is and always has been head over heels for you, and God knows why when I'm the better looking brother."

He grinned with his head held high, and I rolled my eyes. "Really?"

"Yes, just go look in a mirror."

"Yeah, okay pipsqueak," I chuckled.

He finished his orange juice, slamming the cup back down. "But seriously, just do what feels right to you because I think there has been enough waiting around already."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Damn, who would have thought I would ever have this conversation with you? Like this shit is so weird."

"So, when exactly did you know about us?" I asked, slightly tilting my head to the side.

"You and Scar? I started to get suspicious when she went from letting out snotty cries into a tub of ice cream to extremely happy in less than a day. It was a little too happy for me. I don't know, I could just tell there was a change in her, and it had to be a good one."

A smile appeared on my face. "You think?"

"I know...because she is my best friend," He spoke in a serious tone that matched the look he gave me.

"Hey, I know we never talked about it ever before, but you're cool with this, right?"

His face softened as we sat there in silence for a few seconds. "Yeah, I'm cool with it. I just don't want to see her hurt. It's bad enough when it's because of some random douche, but if it's because of my own brother? That would make it even more messed up. Plus, If I weren't alright with it, then Scar would probably murder me and bury my body out back, so I'm good."