Chapter Forty-Four

Several hours before

Vee

Sam just pulled into the parking lot of Jesse and my apartment complex to drop me off. I knew he could tell there was a lot on my mind and that I was worried because he ended up taking the long way over while talking about random things, so I didn't get lost in my thoughts. He may be a dumb flirt most of the time, but he has always been a good friend, especially at the times when you need one.

"You want me to come in and talk to him with you?" Sam put his car in park, looking over at me.

I unbuckled the seatbelt, shaking my head. "No, that's okay. If you came up with me, then he would probably be more defensive. You know how to push people's buttons a little too well," I gave him a small smile.

"Hey, in this case, he kind of deserves it," He raised his brows. "I mean, he pulled a shit move last night, and it wasn't just about not being there with all of us, but he also disrespected you. He let down everyone that he cares about," A soft scoff escaped his lips. "Or so we thought at least."

His words made a stinging pain in my heart as I knitted my brows. "He does care...but he was too selfish and blind to realize how big of a deal that was. I'll make sure he knows just how bad he fucked up."

"You sure you don't want me to help with that?"

"I'm sure. Now go home and get some rest. It was a long-ass night," I told him. He didn't answer me but stared over with a serious expression and hint of concern. "I can handle it. Don't worry, okay?"

He nodded. "Fine, but soon he is going to have to face the whole group, and when that time comes, no one is going to hold back."

A frown formed on my face. "I know," My voice came out quiet as I opened the door, sliding out.

"Hey," Sam spoke up while I turned to him in the doorway. "Jesse's dumbass decisions are his and only his. You proved to be a better friend, showing up when you could have stayed with him and done the same. Don't think mending shit between all of us is on you, okay? We'll get it sorted one way or another."

The corner of my lips softly curved up before I squinted my eyes. "Woah, serious Sam is new. Who are you, and what have you done with goofy-ass Sam?"

He chuckled. "Shut up and go kick your boyfriend's ass for me."

"I will only do one of those things," I shot him a sarcastic smile.

"Well, I know you won't ever stop talking, so..." He joked.

I rolled my eyes. "Ha-ha. Goodbye, Sam."

"Call if you need back up," Were the last words he shouted before I shut the door.

My mouth formed into a smile as Sam gave me a wave and drove off. Once he was gone, my stomach twisted into what felt like a pretzel, not knowing what I was about to walk into. I was hoping for a spotless apartment, but my doubts were loud and clear in my head.

I walked over to the stairs, making my way up towards our front door, and slowly unlocked it. When I went inside, my hope had disappeared as I saw Jesse passed out on the couch surrounded by plastic cups and beer cans. Our entire living room was trashed.

The blood in my veins began to boil as I slammed the door shut, and he jolted awake. "What the-" He yelled, focusing his eyes on me. "Jesus, you scared the hell out of me."

"What the fuck is this, Jesse?" I asked angrily, pointing around at our disaster of an apartment.

He slowly sat up, looking like shit. "Babe, relax. I was in the middle of cleaning up," He grabbed a trash bag from the floor, holding it up. "I just had a hell of a headache and needed to lay down for a minute."