Chapter Sixty

Phoenix

We were heading into the top of the fourth inning with three runs as the Hawks trailed behind with one. In the first inning, Kole scored a homerun, pumping us all up from the very start. By the second inning, Sam and Vinny each got a run after Ryder hit a triple. Our excitement was short-lived because our next two batters got out right after. We were still ahead and happy about it but hoped we would have been able to keep it up a little longer.

The next inning, I ended up getting walked to first base just before Jesse struck out swinging. If there were any other reasons for that to happen other than just bad timing, it would be his fucking attitude tonight. It's like he had it out for every person around him, including his supposed new best friends on the team. He was on edge and only putting pressure on everyone when we were ahead for now. It wasn't like we were half-assing it out there. We've all been depending on one other out on the field and cheering on the next one to step up on home plate to hit every time. Well, everyone that is except Jesse. It's like all the sudden, a switch flipped in him, and now he's a totally different person. A cocky jackass, if I'm being honest. Maybe he had one too many baseballs to the head growing up, and it just now started to make him turn into this complete bastard.

I don't know what the deal is. Maybe he's just changing, but I do know that he's changing into a person that no one in our group wants to have around. Jesse is a bomb ready to go off at any moment, and we're not about to be caught up in it. He lost our loyalty and respect when he showed us that he doesn't even know the damn meaning of either of those. On the field, he's a teammate, but off the field? He's just a complete stranger.

"Come on, Zeller," The sound of Scar's voice caught my attention as I stepped onto the pitcher's mound.

My heart began to beat a little faster, looking over into the stands until my eyes found hers. There was that smile that knew just how to make me go weak, and my jersey on her was the cherry on top of it all. God, she's the most gorgeous person the world has ever been blessed with. That is until our little one arrives...then there will be two.

The corners of my mouth slowly curve up, giving her a wink. She sat up straight, taking her bottom lip between her teeth as her cheeks became rosy. I watched her mouth the words "I love you," making me feel ready to go. There really is no better motivation than seeing her face in the crowd cheering me on.

"Hey, stop flirting with the fans," Ryder lightly pushed my shoulder as he and Sam walked past me towards the outfield.

I shook my head, laughing. "Can't help it. That fan is just way too fucking hot."

"Who? Lily? Definitely," Ryder spoke in a joking manner.

"All four of them are hot as hell, to be honest," Sam added with raised brows, looking out towards the stands.

Ryder and I shot a protective glare at him. "Don't you have some fangirls to drool after somewhere over there?" Ryder teased, pointing to the other side of the stadium.

Sam rolled his eyes. "No, I don't thank you very much."

"I think our little Sammy has finally revoked his playboy status," I smirked.

"Weird," Ryder looked up at the sky in confusion.

"What?" Sam and I followed his gaze.

He shrugged. "I thought there would be pigs flying around or something."

Sam scrunched his face up, shoving Ryder. "Oh, shut the fuck up," He chuckled. "I could say the same thing for you when you and Lily became a thing."

"He's got you there," I let out a laugh.

Ryder rolled his eyes. "Remember, I'm a changed man."

"More like a whipped man," Sam joked. "Scar and Lily got you both wrapped around their fingers," He grinned.