Chapter Fifty-One

Vee

*Buzz, Buzz*

The sound of my phone vibrating against the bedstand woke me as my head shot up, looking towards the lit-up screen with squinted eyes. I sleepily reached over to grab it when I saw that the person who was calling was none other than Jesse, and just like that, I was wide awake with a knot in my stomach.

I sat up in bed, watching the screen intensely until his name disappeared and it went to voicemail. Well, I guess this means he finally got out of jail.

A slow breath escaped me as my head turned towards the other bed where Mia was still sound asleep before my phone started going off once again.

*Buzz, Buzz*

His name popped up, leaving me feeling nervous.What the hell does he want so late? The last thing I want to do is talk to him right now.

Without another thought, I hit the decline button, shaking my head with a bit of frustration starting to build up. I was about to turn off my phone completely when a text from him appeared.

Please answer your phone. It's urgent.

My first response was to quietly scoff at his words, and then I felt anxious. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. I've gone over what I was going to say to him the next time I saw him a thousand times in my head just to be ready. Still, the truth is I don't think I will ever be ready, so maybe I just need to rip off the fucking bandaid...maybe it will be easier to say what I have to say over the phone and when I don't have to look at his stupid ass face. No nervous jitters looking into his shit brown eyes stuck to his big ass head. All I will need to do is speak from my heart that's in pieces, barely hanging on, forcing him to listen to my words for once. Maybe then I can start to slowly heal and find the closure that seems impossible to find.

I quickly slipped out of bed, throwing on an oversized sweatshirt and flip-flops before sneaking out of the room. If I was about to talk to Jesse, I didn't want to do it where everyone was able to hear me in case it got heated...or when it got heated, honestly.

We were on the first floor of the house, so once I walked out of our room, I tip-toed past Jackson and Luke, who were knocked out in the living room and towards the sliding glass door in the kitchen. The second I stepped onto the tile floor, my phone went off.

*Buzz, Buzz*

I made my way outside, shutting the door behind me as softly as possible.

Even though it was nighttime, the moon had lit up everything around me so brightly as if it were the sun.

As I started down the path to the beach, I glanced at my phone apprehensively

As I started down the path to the beach, I glanced at my phone apprehensively. Just do it and get it over with. At least if the conversation goes up in flames, I can end the call whenever. I can do this.