Chapter Forty-Two

Scarlett

I had just been discharged from the hospital as I was being pushed in a wheelchair by a nurse towards the outside. They wouldn't let me walk by myself even though I said I was okay, but I guess it's protocol. Now that I think about it, I'm feeling exhausted, and I don't know if it's because of the meds or the lack of sleep I had last night. Between the sounds of Ryder snoring, Nix asking if I was alright every hour, and the loudest thoughts blaring inside my head that isn't that much of a surprise.

Everyone keeps asking how I'm feeling, and right now, I honestly don't know how to answer that. Nothing feels real right now. It's almost like inside I'm fighting with myself to admit what my life will be like...that it won't ever be the same, not really. There is always going to be that looming feeling that I'll have, not knowing if or when I'll have another seizure. It's just a fucking lot to take in. One minute you're filling up a wine glass to celebrate your boyfriend's first win of the season, and the next, you drop to the ground, forgetting where you are once you wake up—one of the most terrifying feelings I have ever had.

Just as I was getting lost in my head again, Phoenix sweetly grabbed my hand, holding onto it as he walked beside the wheelchair. I glanced up at him while he gave me a wink. My lips curved into a soft smile.

There is my reason for not being completely lost and only drowning in fear...Nixie. Every single time I look at him, he instantly calms me, reminding me I'm not alone. Knowing that no matter what happens, he will be there, holding me up when I feel like giving up, is what keeps me going. I have my family that will stick with me through hell and back but having the one that has your whole fucking heart you can't physically breathe without is so different.

I believe some guardian angels walk the earth to protect and guide those lucky few. Deep inside my heart, I know Phoenix is mine, and I hope with everything I have that I am his too. How crazy would it be that all along, we were always meant for each other...that we were the one the other needed to be complete. Two guardians, searching for a purpose only to find that it was right under our noses.

A burst of humid and warm air blew into my face as we exited the building. Ryder, Kole, Sam, and Vee came swarming around Sam's car to help make sure I got in alright. "Guys, I think I can manage to step into the car on my own. It's not like I can't walk at all," I said with a small smile.

"Well, you did nearly fall flat on your face after getting up earlier," Ryder countered.

"That's because your big ass foot was in my way."

Vee chimed in. "Maybe she's safer away from us," She lightly chuckled. "You guys are like the opposite of gentle giants...destructive."

"Hey, we may be destructive around others but not to our ladies," Sam said.

"Our ladies?" Nix repeated with a raised brow.

Sam rolled his eyes. "Not like that...unless?" He jokingly smirked.

Kole pushed Sam forward. "We need to get you a shock collar or something. Go get in your car."

The rest of us shook our heads, laughing.

These three have shown not only me but Ryder and Nix so much support from the second they came rushing over last night. I didn't expect them to be here or even stay as long as they did. Still, once they visited my room to see if I was okay, Vee, Sam, and Kole went back to our apartment in the middle of the night to get me a change of clothes, things I needed badly, and to get a couple of hours of sleep before coming right back to the hospital to help take me home. It's the fact that neither of us asked, but they wanted to. That's when I knew just the kind of friends they were to Ry and Nix...the ride-or-die ones that are always there in every moment, whether it be happy or scary, and my heart couldn't be more full to have those people surrounding us right now.