Chapter Fifty-Six

Scarlett

The sun had barely started to make an appearance as I stood on the balcony of our room, taking in the fresh ocean air smell. It was completely quiet and peaceful out there, but it was the exact opposite inside my head. I don't think I slept even an hour. It felt wrong to sleep next to Phoenix, keeping something so huge from him.

Last night I went from being there for a friend whose whole world was already crumbling from something so painful, thinking it was about to be shaken up even more, to having my own world flip upside down in a matter of seconds.

I took in a deep breath, replaying that moment of realization once again...that I was going to be a mom.

"Well, I guess there probably isn't much chance of it being a false positive after that," Vee spoke softly, looking down at the four pregnancy tests I had taken just to be sure that had all read clear as day that I was pregnant.

"They could be defective...maybe...right? Do you think that's possible?" My brows furrowed, looking over to see doubt written all over her face.

She gave me a half-smile. "I mean, it could be, but..."

"See? Yeah, that's what it is then," I cut her off, picking up the tests from the counter in a hurry as she gently placed her hand on my wrist.

"Scar," Her voice came out in a caring tone.

My eyes filled with hot tears on the verge of bursting out and down my cheeks like a broken dam. It was confusing because as much as I wanted to deny that a sweet little baby has been growing inside me all this time, a feeling of happiness rushed in of the fact that I was carrying Phoenix's child...our baby.

I turned around to face Vee as her head tilted and a small smile appeared on her face. "It's going to be okay," As soon as the words left her mouth, I broke down. We ended up sitting in the middle of the bathroom floor while she hugged me tightly.

"I don't know how this happened," My head lifted as I was slowly pulling away.

Vee arched a brow. "Well, it all started with the birds and the bees..."

A corner of my mouth curved up, letting out a short chuckle. "No, I think I understand that part very well, but I had my period, and I've been taking my birth control religiously."

"I don't know, hun. Are you sure it was your period?"

I nodded. "Yes, I mean, it was lighter than it normally has been in the past, but my doctor said that with everything going on with me recently, having some abnormal cycles is to be expected, so I didn't really think anything of it."

"Maybe you just ended up in that .01% chance of birth control. Sometimes it can fail on us."

"And it just had to choose to fail on me, didn't it," A nervous and anxious filled laugh escaped me.

Vee took my hand, squeezing it. "Hey, minutes ago you were keeping my head held high and there for me when you didn't have all the answers, but you made me feel like I had so many people in my corner that no matter the outcome, I would have been able to get through it all. Now it's my turn, but you should already feel the immense love and support that you will have through this. Nobody outside of this bathroom knows the beautiful and precious gift that you have right now. Still, I don't have to wait till you choose to tell everyone downstairs to know that every single one of them will cherish you and this baby till the end of time, including me. I was scared that if I were pregnant, my child would have to grow up with a dad that didn't even know how to be a real man, let alone a father, but I have no doubts that Phoenix will step up and be the dad he was always meant to be. Just like you will be the mother you were always meant to be," Tears fell down my cheeks again, taking every sweet word from Vee to my heart. "Yeah, it's obviously way sooner than you ever imagined, and you thought you had your whole life figured out, yet sometimes the biggest challenges end up being a blessing in disguise. I haven't known you and Nix as long as the other's, but I have seen the pain and the struggles you two have gone through in such a short time, yet your relationship has only grown stronger and your love deeper."