Chapter Forty-Eight

Scarlett

When everyone agreed on a small getaway for the weekend, almost immediately the plans were made and set in stone. The next morning, we all met back at our apartment before heading off to the Florida Keys beach house.

Phoenix took his truck along with me, and I managed to talk him into letting Jackson and Luke ride with us too. He wasn't exactly thrilled with that idea, but he gave in after several convincing kisses. With the three amigos back together again, annoying the hell out of Nix while having a whole concert on the way there, and Jack and Luke being my backup singers, I think he regretted it pretty quickly. It's a good thing he loves me because there were times he looked like he was ready to throw us out the window, but that made it feel like nothing had ever changed even more, at least for a little while. Right now, it was as if we were back home, going on a drive around town like we used to, and that made the smile on my face grow even bigger.

"Oh, wow! These houses are gorgeous," My eyes widened, putting my face out the window to take in our surroundings while we drove towards the house we were going to stay at.

"Damn, I'd love to live around here...literally wake up and walk over to the beach every day," Luke said.

I nodded. "Same, that would be amazing."

Nix's thumb lightly grazed up and down my thigh. "Hey, I thought you wanted to live in a house by a lake?" He glanced at me with a sweet smile.

My head tilted to the side, thinking about it. "That's true, but I never thought about a beach life. It sounds tempting."

Jackson chimed in. "I bet the hurricanes are fucking horrible when they hit around here, though, and you don't have to worry about shark attacks in a lake."

"I don't know about the shark thing considering last time we were at the lake, Scar swore a shark flew out of the water at her," Nix teased as I narrowed my eyes, swatting his arm.

"I knew it wasn't a shark, thank you very much, but it was big and scary looking."

Luke chuckled. "It probably thought the same thing about you."

My head whipped around, glaring at him. "Asshole," I said, shaking my head as the guys all laughed. "Keep laughing, Nixie, and you can bunk with those two the whole weekend.

His mouth instantly closed, giving me a look like that would be a living nightmare as I smirked. "Yeah, fuck that. I would rather sleep outside with the sharks and whatever the hell is out there than room with them."

"Hey," Jack shouted defensively. "We would be good roommates."

Nix scoffed, lifting a brow. "I lived with you for 18 years of my life, walking past your room covered in clothes as the smell of dirty socks and cologne blew into my face. So yeah, I'm going to say no."

Luke spoke up. "It does smell like dirty socks."

"Whatever," Jackson rolled his eyes, pouting as I quietly giggled.

"It's okay, Jacky. Destiny loves you regardless of your smelly room, at least," I told him as he cracked a smile, shaking his head.

Just as I said that, we pulled into the driveway of our house for the weekend.