Chapter Forty-One

Phoenix

Here I was stuck in the waiting room of another hospital, staring at the double doors that led to where Scarlett was. I didn't think we would be going through this again. It wasn't even a thought that crossed my mind. She has been healthy and doing so well. I guess life can't be a complete fairy tale, though. It has to throw shit at you out of nowhere, but it keeps going after the wrong person—the one who doesn't deserve any of this. I wish I could take all the pain she has gone through away from her. For once, just fucking throw something at me..please..just fucking hurt me, not her.

"Phoenix," Ryder yelled out with pure panic in his voice beside Kole as they sprinted down the hall of the hospital. "What the hell happened?"

My face became pained as I shook my head. "I don't fucking know, man. She was smiling and laughing before I went to go shower, then I heard a crash from the kitchen a few minutes later," I felt sick to my stomach, reliving the moment. "When I got there, she was laying on the floor and h..her body was just shaking out of control...her eyes were in the back of her head. I held her on her side until she stopped shaking and came back to consciousness enough for me to grab my phone to call 911."

Ryder brushed his fingers through his hair. "I can't believe this is happening again. She was fine. We just talked, and she was...fine," He repeated, trying to understand. "How was she when she woke up?"

I glanced up at him. "Scared, and she wasn't making much sense. It was like she forgot how to form words for a second. They were all jumbled up, but by the time the paramedics came, she was starting to seem a little less out of it. She held onto my damn hand the minute they took her down to the ambulance all the way to the hospital. They had to pull her hand off of mine because she wouldn't let go...she was terrified, Ryder," Tears formed in my eyes. "She shouted, "Nix, please, don't let me go," before they pushed her through those doors. It took all I had not to fucking storm inside," My voice broke while I talked.

"Jesus, Nix," Kole's face was covered in concern and sympathy.

Ryder fell down on the chair next to me, looking like he saw a ghost. "Did the paramedics tell you anything when they got there? Did you tell them about her injury before?"

"Just what we thought. That it was a seizure, they said it could have something to do with the previous trauma or something else could be going on, but they were in the dark along with us," I explained. "Did you call your parents?"

He nodded slowly. "Yeah. They are trying to get a plane out of Vegas, but I don't know how long that will take, being last minute. Right now, Scar only has us," His eyes were washed over with worry. "We have to be there for her no matter what. She needs us," He spoke like he was telling that to himself as well.

"She has all of us," The sound of Vee's voice echoed to our right as we saw her and Sam standing there. "How is she?" Her brows knitted together, sitting on my other side.

Sam stood beside Kole. "Have you seen her yet? She's going to be alright...right?"

My jaw tightened, trying to hold back tears. Be strong for Scar, man. Get it together. "She was awake and starting to talk when we got here, but I haven't heard anything since she went back. It's just like before. We have no fucking clue what's going on in there or if something else is happening."

"What if it's not related to her injury?" Ryder spoke up with a creased forehead. "What if it's worse or something that changes her? I don't want to lose my fucking sister. I don't think I could handle it," His hand covered his face as he probably went over the what-ifs about a thousand times.

"Hey, now, don't go to that dark place. You can't let that shit consume your mind. It will only cause you more pain than you need," Kole said.

Vee tilted her head to the side, speaking softly. "He's right, and from what I've learned about Scar already is that she is a badass that won't let anything drag her down so easily. She may be small, but she has a lot of fight in her."